Cultivated Reef

Botryocladia (red grape) macroalgae loosing "grapes"

ninjamyst

I got some red grape macroalgae 2 days ago. I notice that it is loosing a lot of the bubbles / grapes and they are floating all around the tank and accumulating in some areas. Will this cause a nitrate / phosphate spike? Do I need to siphon it all out?

ll_maynard_ll

I'd take 'em out to be on the safe side, they will grow again. Plus if you leave them they may let go of they spores, I think that's what happened to me. Now I have them sprouting everywhere. They aren't fast growers so its not going to smother anything but I have dozens of sprouts, some as tall now as the original, others I tear out after a month or so when they get about an inch tall.

Have you noticed if color has changed. When subjected to too much light, I have noticed a shift from dark red to yellow/orange, particularly at the tips.

Patrick

drunkenmonk21

Sometimes they just loose bubbles, if its still growing and still red it should be ok, I have never had a problem with too much light myself. Used 6500k whites and 450nm blues at max without a prob.

Take them bubbles out if you can get to them, they may clog up your powerheads and or filters.

I have seen hermits ripping them apart, also sometimes fish grab onto the bubbles and rip it apart.

Josh

I have a batch of them growing like crazy, longest steam about 7 inches. Just started growing on some live rock I baught about a year ago.

I also see it yellowing up but I also notice that might be a when it spreads.

I really like how it looks but want to trim it back,will it attatch to live rock by using a rubber band or what should I use.

Thinking of transfering some to a bio cube I have set up.

Is this stuff any good for anything, I see hermits and emeral crabs picking on it but not eating it

Botryocladia will attach over time if you affix the stems to rock by either tying it down or wedging it in. Lower light levels will make for a darker plant. Flow rates will determine the clustering of the 'grapes' with less flow making for a more dense plant. Like most macro algae, it is a nutrient exporter and decorative.

Archived