SaltCritters.com

Blue light only

Roadrunner

Since photosynthesis is primarily dependent on light towards the blue spectrum i.e. blue light. Would it not suffice to only use blue light? :| :| Not talking bout a FO tank since fish dont need light, but about the LR and coral. Would blue light only suffice for LR and corals(medium light intensity needing~) :o

BTW are there light tubes that combine two types of lighting in one light tube? Meaning a combination of two smaller lighting tubes in "one" light tube i.e. requiring only one tube connection.

THX in advance!

Do you mean like a 50/50 light tube?

While photosynthesis occurs A LOT in the blue area of the spectrum (420-475nm), there is also a large portion or light that occurs in the purple and yellow-red areas of the visible light spectrum. Further, while photosynthesis relies on these colors, other functions of the coral rely on certain parts of the spectrum. For example, much as plants use the Far red portion of the spectrum to get information about neighboring plants, I would suspect the photosynthetic organisms in coral to have a similar capability. Also of importance to light cycle are Circadian rhythms, reproduction, etc.

I say use the whole spectrum.

Undertheradar

Well, although blue light is not enough by itself...that would be the point behind 20,000K bulbs like the classic blue radiums...

Originally posted by kraphtymac

Do you mean like a 50/50 light tube?  

I say use the whole spectrum.

>Do you mean like a 50/50 light tube

Yes, and would it thereby suffice? Depending on the wattage..

Archived