inTank Media Baskets

Black Spots on Clown

Mikedel

I noticed last night that my clown has about four black dots on one side of the body, and two on the other. The spots arent big, just about a millimeter or two. It looks like someone took a sharpee and made a few dots on its sides. I tested the water and everything checks out good. The fish seems to be in good health eating and no change in behavior. Anyone know what this could be?

Thanks,

Mike

hmm, that one puzzles me a bit. can you post a pic so i can see it myself. water parameters would be helpful too. how long have you had the clown? how long has the tank been set up?

Nitrates 10, kH 11, pH 8.3-8.4, sg 1.023, temp 82. Everything else in the tank is doing good. The clown is doing good too, just has the black dots on him.

Thanks,

Mike

damn, i cant see a thing through all the salt creep on the glass! JK, are those dots raised? if they are they may be some sort of isopod. if not and they are just a discoloration and no other symptoms are present i wouldnt worry about your dalmation clown too much. is it possible that there is a temp swing when you are away from the tank? nanos are really prone to temp swings, and its starting to get really hot in TX this time of year. how long have you had the clown? how long has the tank been set up? what kind of mobile inverts or other fish do you have?

Well I have never seen the tank hotter then 82 or cooler then 80. Its the hot part of the day right now and its about 81. I have had the clown for about 2 1/2 months, and the tank has been set up between 4 and 4 1/2 months. His roommate is a neon goby. I also have a peppermint shrimp and a couple of blue leg hermits. The spots arent raised. someone must have snuck in with a magic marker while I wasnt looking.lol

Thanks,

Mike

Does your clown host in anything? My mated percs host in my sebae and have lots of black marks all over them. It is their skin acclimating to the sting of the anemone.

Well I have noticed it hanging around with some xenia from time to time. Maybe thats it, someone also told me this happened to one of their clowns that was hosting with zoos which I have also.

Thanks,

Mike

The spots are markers of a tank raised clown fish. The wild ones don`t get these because they know how to host properly. I think

• 8 months later...
nofriendsbz3

its none of that stuff. All it is is just black coloring like they have on their black stripes. I have a clown and it started with the black spots and now it has a solid black stripe. it looks cool.

i wouldnt worry about it.

nick

Archived