SaltCritters.com

Aqua Medic Oceanlight 150w--good choice?

Juanton80

I am looking at buying the Aqua Medic Oceanlight 150w with 20k bulb for my 20L aquarium. Has anyone ahd experience with this light. Is it too strong a 20L? I'm planning to eventually keep SPS and LPS corals. Thanks!

Undertheradar

It is a great light, but for LPS & SPS, and you want to run 20,000K...you might want to bump it up to 250watts...really...you wont regret it, and with some corals...you might need it. Now the Aqualine euro fixtures (along with the other brands like the geisemann and such) are all good, but you might find slightly better value in going with seperates at either premium aquatics / marine depot...this setup in particular>>> 250watt ballast: PFO HQI or Icecap New Style electronic (FWIW, the 250watt ballasts are just as little $$$ if not less than the 150's, $115 I believe) >>> PFO HQI or Single ended pendant shells (usually about $100), and then the bulb...XM makes a killer 250watt in 20,000K, for less than the imports like Radium and Aqualine...unless you go Ushio 20,000K...those things kick.

Thanks Undertheradar! Could you elaborate on what you are talking about as far as the cheaper system (250w) from premium Aq/Marine depot........Am I supposed to buy a ballast and a pendant? Is there anything that I have to assemble. Sorry, kinda new to the hobby. Wanna try and get good lighting from the start!:)

Archived