SaltCritters.com

Coral Compulsion Par30 18k with 120 optics review

spazizz

Disclaimer- This is my first LED unit, I am switching from MH lighting. I am also no expert, just your average consumer.

Customer service was great! I talked to them through PM. All questions I asked were answer diligently and they gave clear answers. Their flexibility was great as well.

Now the product

My first thought when turned the light on was, that it did not seem very bright this may be because it is a 18k or I am just not use to leds. The previous light I was using was a Fishneedit 70 watt MH with 14k stock bulb which was very bright compared to the Par30. Currently I have the par30 6 inches from the top of the tank and I getting full coverage at this height. I don’t have par meter so I am not sure what this little light is putting out.

Two days after having the par30 it seems bright enough now, I must have gotten used to it. I am getting some spot lighting and disco effects but this is from my HOB filter and condensation that builds up on my glass lid. If I remove the lid and turn the filter off the colors blend well. Personally I would prefer a 10k look because this is a very blue light. Hopefully I’ll get better growth and spectrum then my FNI MH.

Coral Compulsion updated their par30 with new white leds so it now has

3 Deep Blue 455nm

2 Neutral White 4500k

1 Cool White 6500k

1 True Violet 420nm

The previous par30 had

3 Deep Blue 455nm

2 Neutral White 6500k

1 Cool White 12000k

1 True Violet 420nm

I’ll do another update on how my corals react to light, such as color changes, growth changes and anything different.

Tank info

5.5g standard with glass lid

Bare bottom currently(adding sand soon)light may apear brighter with sand.

HOB filter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I exchanged the par30 for the 14k par38, the reason why I did was I wanted more coverage on the edges of my 5.5g. The 14k looks almost identical to the 18k as far as color temp. I'm happy with that, the 18k looked incredible.

As for the time I was using the par30 some of my corals colored up very nicely. My brown montipora cap is now bright green and exploding with growth, my brown acro has bright green polyps now which are getting brighter every day. My red montipora cap with yellow polyps grows at least 1mm each night, it is crazy how much growth I'm getting.

I ordered extra optics so right now I trying to decide if I want 90s or 120s.

When I got my light today the mail man decided the best place for my package was in the middle of my drive way :huh:

The 24watt 14k.

Which par38 did u go with?

Additional info-

I put the two bulbs next to each other and the par30 is slightly more blue the the 14k but not as bright. Two bulbs look awesome over the tank though............

Archived