ReefCleaners.org

How to grow GSP on tank glass?

Draco

I want to grow my GSP on the back of my tank glass.

1. It's on a plug. I am scared to use a blade to peel it off.. I feel like I'm hurting it and I'm not doing it right. Is there a pictorial or video guide that I can see? I am more of a visual learner.

2. I don't think the glue will stick well to the glass.. how do I mount it? on the glass?

I thought about leaving the plugged GSP against the glass, but it doesn't get a whole lot of light in the lower/back of the tank.

Suggestions?

post-81647-0-76391800-1385643905_thumb.jpg

I've just done this I had the same idea as you growing it in the background. I purchased a piece of gsp not on anything, then glued it to a flatfish rock let it set then make some putty up and stuck it to the back with a egg creat prop to hold it in place. So far it held up for 5 days just need it to spead to hold itself up. Here's a pic to help image it

post-77049-0-95472500-1385644966_thumb.jpg

egg crate, huh? That's a good idea. I don't think I can purchase any GPS alone, not on a plug or rock.

The one I have is growing fast(as pictured) and I want to isolate it from the main rock soon.

I managed to peel off some GSP from another frag plug I had, and I glued it to the glass. Lets hope it stays up!

if not, I will let it grow over a piece of rubble as suggested

My GSP colony constantly sends out "runners" for lack of a better word. Almost like fingers of the purple junk just hanging there in the water. Those would be super easy to transplant to the back wall. I had thought about this myself but after seeing how fast my two small squares of GSP morphed into a huge and ever growing blob I've reconsidered.

FWIW, GSP can be scraped off the plug quite easily without harm. I've taken entire colonies of various star polyps off of rock and they sent polyps back out within an hour of being scraped

I just used superglue to attach it to the glass and it's been there for months lol ;) Just take it out of the tank, dry the back of it and put some glue on it. Then after that put it up against the glass and hold it there for a little bit and it should be good. Also make sure the glass is cleaned first ;) MIne's gotten twice as big as when I put it up there. Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
2004jeeplaredo
I had some gsp that had grown along the sand. I just glued it to the back wall and it took off

fulltanknotop.jpg

endJuneshot.jpg

How long did it take to spread? Does it spread fast? I want to do this on my fluval spec v on the blank black wall but worried i wont be able to keep up with it, unless its month to grow bigger. Thanks.

Lol how do y'all get super glue to hold gsp? it never stays for me..

You need to dry off the GSP matt very well or it won't stick.

How long did it take to spread? Does it spread fast? I want to do this on my fluval spec v on the blank black wall but worried i wont be able to keep up with it, unless its month to grow bigger. Thanks.

GSP can spread super fast or slow depending on your parameters. Mine went from two small 1" squares to covering an area the size (and surface area) of a football in a year.

Be careful what you wish for though. It is hard to keep contained.

If you wipe the glass so there's no slime algae on it, it should be very easy to superglue the plug to the glass. If you have some coralline growing on the glass that would also make a good place to glue the plug.

If you have any 2-part epoxy around, that would be even better

Get a mini mag-float (the ones for a 10g tank) and glue the frag plug to the top side of the magnet. It'll grow right up and off the magnet. Once it grows off the magnet, you can razor blade it and move the magnet around to seed a different spot leaving little GSP patches all over your glass which will eventually connect.

This also prevents you from having a bulge where the rock or frag plug are and you aren't glueing anything to your glass.

• Like 1

You need to dry off the GSP matt very well or it won't stick.

GSP can spread super fast or slow depending on your parameters. Mine went from two small 1" squares to covering an area the size (and surface area) of a football in a year.

Be careful what you wish for though. It is hard to keep contained.

Why would GSP grow slow? Mine has been a snail

• 6 years later...
On 2/14/2014 at 1:31 PM, jservedio said:

Get a mini mag-float (the ones for a 10g tank) and glue the frag plug to the top side of the magnet. It'll grow right up and off the magnet. Once it grows off the magnet, you can razor blade it and move the magnet around to seed a different spot leaving little GSP patches all over your glass which will eventually connect.

This also prevents you from having a bulge where the rock or frag plug are and you aren't glueing anything to your glass.

Best method I’ve heard of by far 

• Like 1