ReefCleaners.org

How to set custom white balance?

ninjamyst

I am getting frustrated with my D7000's white balance. I want to get rid of the blue / purple cast coming from the light. I tried setting the custom white balance but every shot I took, it kept saying "No Good". I took a white plate and dipped it into the tank. I take a picture of the plate, but camera can not make it out. ARGH! This is driving me insane. What do you guys use as a white/gray card?? I also tried using my white sandbed but that didn't work either.

Don't know, I kinda had it down for my Par38 but now I can't even get it back the way it was to take a pic of that and I'm trying to mess around w/ the Kessil. And for me the Nikon book doesn't say enough of anything. So much trial and error, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, etc.

Well, that was probably the most useless post I've ever put up. My camera won't even take a pic of the paper right either under the light.

This helped me a bit, you can set your camera to take 3 pictures with different white balances with bracketing. I am still trying to figure it all out too :)

Use grey card, works much better. Actually, any neutral grey color item will work and you don't need to put it in the tank to shoot, just hold it above water and shoot.

Use grey card, works much better. Actually, any neutral grey color item will work and you don't need to put it in the tank to shoot, just hold it above water and shoot.

I printed out a 8 x 11 sheet of paper with light gray background. I put it under the light but no go =(.

I printed out a 8 x 11 sheet of paper with light gray background. I put it under the light but no go =(.

Can you change color profile/style on your camera? Try other profile like Neutral or Faithful if you have those. Don't use Standard or Landscape which tends to saturate blue more than others.

I tried Shady too. It's definitely better. I finally got the white balance preset to work by focusing on the shell of a big Florida cerith =). It's mostly white and he was right under the LED. Some pics with that new preset:

11126573346_9f6b9dfe48_c.jpg

11110329394_0cd1c90938_c.jpg

Archived