ReefCleaners.org

Taking Pics Under Kessil LED lighting

ReviloM

I've found that the iPhone cameras must be tuned to taking pictures with LED lights. My iPhone camera regularly takes better tank pics than my expensive DSLR.

I'll probably have to make some kind of marker so I always put the intensity and color at the same location so I only have to mess with white balance once. I do know I have to be more on the white side to get the color to show more accurately. I have the 350 as well, w/ umpteen color and intensity combos there's no way you can keep resetting your white balance.

My images always show up dark even when I change the ISO. It almost as if the LEDs are not emitting enough light. When I had the radions on my old tank, it was never an issue. I am an amateur so it may be something else I need to change on my camera, Sony Nex5n. I am trying to take FTS for my 10G.

I have my ISO on the highest it'll go and pick a more white light to take a pic because it always turns out bluer. It's very bright so it's not that the leds are weak but the blue spectrum is intense and the camera doesn't know what to do with it. I also took a pic of the tank to get the white balance right and used that to set the white balance. I still had to have it on the highest ISO for my Par38 full spectrum as well.

I have my ISO on the highest it'll go and pick a more white light to take a pic because it always turns out bluer. It's very bright so it's not that the leds are weak but the blue spectrum is intense and the camera doesn't know what to do with it. I also took a pic of the tank to get the white balance right and used that to set the white balance. I still had to have it on the highest ISO for my Par38 full spectrum as well.

Ok. Thanks for the tip! I try not to exceed 1600 iso but ill try higher.

That doesn't sound right.

What aperture are you using?

I normally shoot at i think its 7.8. So I decided to try out Auto instead of Aperture Priority and it produced a better image. It lowered the Aperture to 5.7 and the iso to 125. The images were appearing really dark for me in 7.8 aperture and 200 iso.

11003794055_896429fcc5_c.jpg

Well, that makes more sense.

If you can open it up to f/4 and set it to ISO 200 or 400 you should be able to stop motion pretty well with a faster shutter speed. You have a manual mode on that camera, play around with it with larger apertures.

Unless you have some of the newest and more expensive cameras, ISO 1600 is going to introduce a lot of noise to your photos you don't need.

The smaller the F number the larger the aperture is; the smaller the number means it lets in more light. But it also makes the area that is in focus smaller. A smaller F number allows for a faster shutter speed, and or lower ISO.

I have my camera on a setting called P which means it'll automatically adjusts the shutter speed and aperture.

That means you probably have an M mode. Have you tried using that? I really can't imagine any light that grows coral to require the high ISOs you say you're using.

Well, that makes more sense.

If you can open it up to f/4 and set it to ISO 200 or 400 you should be able to stop motion pretty well with a faster shutter speed. You have a manual mode on that camera, play around with it with larger apertures.

Unless you have some of the newest and more expensive cameras, ISO 1600 is going to introduce a lot of noise to your photos you don't need.

The smaller the F number the larger the aperture is; the smaller the number means it lets in more light. But it also makes the area that is in focus smaller. A smaller F number allows for a faster shutter speed, and or lower ISO.

That means you probably have an M mode. Have you tried using that? I really can't imagine any light that grows coral to require the high ISOs you say you're using.

I can do fantastic shots outside, in the tank not so much. Better w/ the Evolve 8. I'll have to experiment w/ that M mode.

Archived