SaltCritters.com

Question - Water Surface

mmonette100

Hi everyone,

I have a 10 gallon nano and use the Eclipse 1 hood. I therefore do not use a skimmer. Was wondering what evryone uses to skip the surface of the water to remove the "oily" looking stuff if you don't use a skimmer. Thanks in advance.

M

I use an empty AC200 HOB. Provides circulation and chops up the surface nicely. I never get a film. Alternatively, just aim a powerhead up toward the surface a bit, and this should solve the problem too.

I currently have my microchiller on and that keeps the water surface moving and eliminates the surface scuzz. When I take the chiller off I will add a powerhead to move more water and it will be aimed, like satchmo said, toward the surface.

I use a Hagen Surface Skimmer attachment on my Aquaclear 150. It may be an eyesore depending o your rockwork but it works perfect on mine and it's hidden.

I've got pic on my page www.californiareefs.com and got to photos and the section on my 7 bow has pics and info.

Cameron

I remove the film by skimming with a small cup when I do my water changes.

Since I stopped using phytoplankton, though, my surface film problem has virtually gone away.

Thanks for your reply's everyone. I appreciate them. I'd like to use the Hagen surface skimmer. Would this fit in an eclipse hood?

Fishiebusiness

I use a hagen surface skimmer too. It attaches to any suction tube so you may be able to get it onto the intake of your eclipse with some adaptors and/or cutting if the intake is about 1/2inch opening. I have mine attached to a biowheel mini filter, i hide it behind a heater and a powerhead.

Archived