inTank Media Baskets

Blue Ochtodes dying

ragtimewilly

I received a shipment of blue ochtodes about a week back, they arrived looking reddish, they are now turning a pale pink color, I'm thinking they're dying any suggestions for keeping them alive?

drunkenmonk21

They are dying off, but it only takes a small bit of Blue Ochtodes to live and you will have a thriving plant in no time at all. I have had the smallest spec of blue ochtodes break off and grow its own large mass very quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

They are dying off, but it only takes a small bit of Blue Ochtodes to live and you will have a thriving plant in no time at all. I have had the smallest spec of blue ochtodes break off and grow its own large mass very quickly.

I wish this were the case for me.. I've been struggling to even keep it alive in my tank..

drunkenmonk21

Make sure that when you recieved them you also try and acclimate them to the light, remember they have been in the dark for a few days during shipping. So direct light right out of the box could shock it pretty good.

Make sure that when you recieved them you also try and acclimate them to the light, remember they have been in the dark for a few days during shipping. So direct light right out of the box could shock it pretty good.
I received them about a year ago :lol:
Your water can also be too "clean" for macros :P
my other macros are fine.. I have like 6+ varieties.

Do they like lower light? I find they bleach out in direct light of any kind..

drunkenmonk21

I have had mine in a variety of light from very high lighting under leds to sitting in a southern window and they all do fine. Could be that your other macros are out competing it but im not sure, I found that the blue ochtodes I had were rather invasive once they got established.

Where did you get the ochtodes?

From a local at a swap. They've grown but not rapidly and usually look bleached. I'm not worried I really don't even care just curious. I have quite a few other macros that are likely out competing it..

Chaeto, red grape, green grape, codium, red gracilaria, another red macro (dunno, penny macro).. I think that's it..

Had some caulerpa but it disappeared..

Archived