Top Shelf Aquatics

red gracilaria turning green

longfin2

Any idea why? It is still growing, but I can't get my chaeto to grow at all. I also have a pretty severe red turf algae problem in my DT that I dont know how to get rid of. Is my gracilaria going to die, or is it just a reaction to the bulb, which is just one of those 6500k spiral flourescent bulbs from home depot. Tank has been set up for 2 months and the gracilaria has been in there from the beginnning, I trimmed it once about 2weeks ago..post-64889-0-28529700-1384817653_thumb.jpgpost-64889-0-23781300-1384817667_thumb.jpg

The Gracilaria is about dead. You may be able to salvage some of the red bits. Place it near a moderate flow area with indirect lighting. The turf algae will need to be either plucked by hand (try not to lose any in the water column or it will attach and begin growing again), or you can try the peroxide method if the rock can be removed.

Too much light?

Doubtful. I would lean towards a lack of nutrients, as it and the Chaetomorpha are doing poorly while the turf algae is growing well. It is probably out competing the other algae for available nutrients. Are you using carbon and/or phosphate removers?

I was running 4 tablespoons of carbon in a homemade reactor, running it 24/7 and changing replacing it with fresh once a week. I took it completely out like 3 days ago cause I was afraid that between that and the skimmer I was going a little overboard. gonna eatch things closely for a week and decide whether or not to start using it again.I do a 15% water change once a week. Thought I could use skimmer, carbon, macros, semi dsb, and live rock in the sump/fuge for my filtration, figuring they would all work together. My corals all seem fine, but I've fot the red turf, a tiny bit of gha, and some bryopsis that just popped up in the DT.

I thought the idea of the macros in the sump was to utilize the nutrients that the skimmer and carbon couldnt remove so that I wouldnt have a problem with algae in my DT. I guess the question is how do I get the macros in the fuge to get ahead of the ones in the DT. Suppose I'll have to remove as much as I can from the DT but I have no idea if how to get rid of this red turf. Good thingbis I dobt have any microalgae, hardlt ever have to clean the glass, then again I dont have any coralline growing or spreading yet.

Archived