Top Shelf Aquatics

Some questions that requires help!!!

marine_phoenix

marine_phoenix

HI,my tank is set up for 2 mths and i has now 2 fishes and some invertebrates.(anemone,snails etc.)

However,i still have some questions in which i hope that you pple can help me out...

1)My tank is currently stock up with quite a number of livestocks and i would like to ask whether can i add more liverocks into my tank now?Would adding liverocks now affect my tank in any way?

2)Can i put a yellow tang in my tank?I know that yellow tangs reqiures quite a large tank to survive but can i get a smaller one for my tank?(I saw this tank on the net and it is of the same size as mine,and it has a tang in it.Therefore i'm thinking of one too....:))

#1 NO!

#2 NO!

Sorry to be so blunt but thats the way it is. Adding more LR now will kill everything because it will recure. Totally tank ready would be different. A Tang cannot be in a small tank and be healthy or happy at all.

matt the fiddler

no way on the tang.. unless that is a 100 gallon nano- or unless you like to kill fish and have PETA run after you... [if they exist in singapore]

so first of all- how big is your tank?

now wait a sec xcajx- you can add LR i have it is HOW you do it that is important.. follow these rules..

#1 add as little rock as possible at once.

#2 only add fully cured AND fully cycled rock

#3 watch your water.. and water change like crazy if any spikes in nitrate or nitrite [testing daily for the first week or so] preferably 5-10% changes if you are going to do a lot of them

so if you don't live near a LFS or find a lot of rock you want to add all at once..

get a tupperware tub/ bucket.. put it in with a airstone at room temp. and wait for the bucket to cycle the same way your tank did. [waiting a month] then still i would put in piece by piece.

oh yea- this additive helps too

attachment.php?s=&postid=281425

marine_phoenix

Thks for the reply...

How do i know that whether the rocks are cured anot?I've asked quite a lot of LFS shop owners and none of them seems to know what i was talking about...

l've seen from some website saying that rocks that are in display tanks(referring to those in LFS) and are waiting to be sold,those rocks are cured...True?

matt the fiddler

smell them- if they smell so bad you want to puke- they are uncured. [or test ammonia in the water- if there is ammonia, then uncured]

if display tank rock have been in there for a few months at least- they are cured and cycled.. try to keep them wet [iE in water covered in papertowels] when you move them back to your place- otehr wise, the dieoff will cause another cycle.

Archived