Cultivated Reef

8 gal. jebo reef

2muchreef4u

2muchreef4u

well here's an update of my tank. everything's been 'growing' since dosing with kent reef starter kit and kalk top-offs every evening. i guess one of the best purchases so far have been my prizm skimmer upgrade kit with a surface skimmer.

jebo_x1.jpg

jebo_x2.jpg

jebo_skimmer.jpg

i like the blue sponge and the yellow leather even tho i cant really see it that good. thanks comming along nicely.

-Chris

2muchreef4u

thanks guys

iam in the process of selling my piece on the far left side with the blue shrooms & xenia to make room for some more corals. xenias grow too fast and might take over.

kadaytar- it's a blue sponge. i also have a 96 watt quad as lighting

if you dont mind me asking how much did your blue spong cost?, they had one at my lfs for $56 but imgonna work there so ill get a discount and i was curious because ive only seen a few.

-Chris

2muchreef4u

chris-

believe it or not i bought mine for $18.99! there's a place here in san francisco that has like a pick & pull (self service) type of lfs. however you have to know when their new shipment arrives. all corals $18.99. there's a 1000+ gal. display tank where you 'bag' your own corals and save. all the good ones go fast & same go for the fish

are you talking about 6th and clement.... that place is horrible corals are all dying fish are all parasited. bag specials are wild caught fish that live maybe for a a week tops. i only buy inverts there. but all the corals i see there have aiptasia growing from the an*s.

dang i dont see how an lfs could do that unless everything is pretty small seems like theyd loose alot of money on it. im guessing dry goods are overpriced.

if i were you id try and get rid of all the xenia or try to strand it to the sand. it looks liek its starting to take over and itll be a pain for veiwing,Chris

2muchreef4u
Originally posted by Victa

are you talking about 6th and clement.... that place is horrible corals are all dying fish are all parasited. bag specials are wild caught fish that live maybe for a a week tops. i only buy inverts there. but all the corals i see there have aiptasia growing from the an*s.

you're right that's the place. i don't buy fish there only corals & inverts. i typically call first before going over to find out when new shipments of corals arrive. i usually try and buy the corals within 1-2 days of the shipments so not to get the already 'deteriorated' ones. i've had pretty good luck, since most of my corals in my 20 & 8 gal. come from there and have yet to have any casualties. if find a piece i like, i thoroughly inspect it and make sure that coral tissue and colorization is up to par.

chris-

the lfs store is pretty reasonable. however as mentioned above you've got to be quick & knowledgable in purchasing live stuff over there (the staff is not helpful either) , but the dry goods are pretty much the same online. i bought my quad 96 watt there for $89 & prizm skimmer for $79. i also sold my larger xenia rock with blue shrooms yesterday to a local reefer & purchased an acro, orange ric & orange zoo frags. i just have one xenia head left now.

• 2 weeks later...
2muchreef4u

purchased 3 sps frags from victa (thanks) & a green bali slimer from a lfs, also changed my substrate to live aragonite to help buffer and add calium for the sps.

sps.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived