ReefCleaners.org

Ps2cho's Barely Nano 60g Shallow Build --> [October FTS Updated]

ps2cho

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I finally have my own decent camera :)

Sony a5000:
Sony_A5000_product_shot_111.jpg

Here are some quick shots with it...

The SPS is slowly recovering that was almost dead as from post #145

Same with a few others!

spsregrow.jpg

spsnov142.jpg

Dosing pumps and 2-part set up and ready to go!

I will be doing a large water change tonight and get my baseline numbers from that. Then over the next few days I will dial in the consumption properly. I'm glad this will be easier than dealing with kalk...

dosingpumps.jpg

Here is my 2-part dosing code for my quantity:

Alk:

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/001:00/059:00 Then ON
If Time 04:00 to 18:59 Then OFF
---> 6hrs of 1min intervals per hour...so @ 1.1ml/hr = 6.6ml total of alk
---> ran at night to help pH swings
Ca:
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/001:00/059:00 Then ON
If Time 16:00 to 08:59 Then OFF
---> 6hrs of 1min intervals per hour...so @ 1.1ml/hr = 6.6ml total of ca
---> ran at during the day to prevent alk and ca going together

Checked this morning and ca dropped a little. I increased the dosage a little and will see what happens.

Doing 6.6ml/day of both alk and ca ended up dropping me 0.3dkh per day and 15ppm ca...so I have increased to 10ml/day of each. I think that should be getting really close now to my actual consumption.!

co1.jpg

co2.jpg

One of the SPS on the right side looks like has a little tissue loss, but its difficult to tell because its white anyway. One of the monti's broke...you can see one piece is doing fine and its still red, but the other piece has totally lost all the color..hope it recovers.

• 3 weeks later...

I still think I have too low of a nutrient system.

Starting today, I have created a strict regiment of dosing aminos, trace elements and general coral food. I will be using Reef Plus, Reef Trace and Reef Roids.

Is there a way that I can automate the Reef Plus and Reef Trace via aqualifters? or is that getting a little dangerous?

I can see how some people just never do water changes. My tank just simply doesnt have any waste. I've been doing water changes to replenish elements, but I think its doing more harm than good since its starving my tank of phosphates and nitrates. Hense why I am going to cut back and start feeding my tank.

Lost a few of my SPS haul though :(

But at least I am learning something here. Hopefully from here on out I will see drastic improvements.

Probably the biggest hint was that I was only cleaning my glass every 2-3 weeks. I think I remember reading many tanks have to do this every few days!

I am on day 3 of increased feeding and I already see change...I cleaned the glass and my sps look far less dull. Even the coralline algae has become more purple!

I got a little xmas cash...I really want a clam but I know I should wait til I am no longer losing sps and I am sure my issues are gone.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Been about 6 months since my last post...I think I have finally nailed the tank. Everything is stable, I have no more losses and everything is growing pretty good. You can see the differences from the prior post up above.

What do you guys think about the colors and growth in 6 months?
My tank stats as of today:
79F
Nitrates: 10
Phosphates: 0.16
Calcium: 400
Alk: 8.5
Magnesium: 1400
sps1.jpg
sps2.jpg
sps3.jpg
sps4.jpg

BRS Delivered me a shiny new Vortech MP40 QuietDrive today :D

Gotta tell you, its whisper quiet no joke. I am already sold on upgrading my MP10 to the QuietDrive driver for the $50/75 however much it was.

I also have a new Eshopps R-200 refugium sump coming too. It will be a hell of a lot better than my 20L DIY. I will have a refug section to grow Chaeto and it will add about 3gal additional water volume as a small addition too.

Plus of course it looks better. Won't have that for another 2-4 weeks though as its on backorder.

Here is my new updated water storage. I purchased a verticle 60g container from a local Norwesco distributor.

I had to reinforce the stand using some leftover 2x4's, but overall it doesn't look like its going to collapse on itself. Going from a 25g brute can to a 60g is quite a difference in weight!

water%20storage.jpg

Archived