Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My DIY kalk reactor

fade2black

one more question :) The kangaroo pump...how much can it pump volume-wise before you have to reset it? I have heard around 2 gallons. And what is required to reset it? just push a button? or do you have to reset the flow rate also? thanks F2B

billpa

I can pump indefinitely. I have never had to reset mine. I set it to match my evaporation rate and it just goes. I believe if you set the amount to be dosed to either 0000 or 9999 it will just keep going. The Kangaroo is an awesome pump. I turned off the drip alarm (which was very easy) and the thing just keeps going.

Originally posted by fade2black

I can pump indefinitely.  I have never had to reset mine.  I set it to match my evaporation rate and it just goes.  I believe if you set the amount to be dosed to either 0000 or 9999 it will just keep going.  The Kangaroo is an awesome pump.  I turned off the drip alarm (which was very easy) and the thing just keeps going.

so you set your pump to 150 ml/h or whatver and you never have to reset it? kind of confused with the 0000 or 9999 statement. Sounds like a good pump.

bill

Yeah, it has two settings. One for how much to dose in ml/hr and the other is for total amount dosed. For example, you can set it to 150ml/hr and then the total amount to 450ml and it will dose for 3 hours and stop. If you set the total amount to dose to either 0000 or 9999 it will run continuously. When I get home I will check for you, but I beleive it is 9999. I run mine 24/7 and have never had to reset it.

what kind of timer do you use that will allow you to do such frequent intervals? I need something like that for another project.

billpa

I use a digital timer you can get at any HD or Lowe's. They are about $20.

I use 1/8" wall tubing. These aren't high pressure so going with 1/4" is overkill and adds too much to the price IMO.

okay, one last question: what type of tubing? I wasn't sure if my silicone tubing would stand up to the high pH of kalk for any length of time.

I use the type of tubing that comes with RO/DI systems. It's a thick semi-ridgid tubing. CO2 tubing would probably work too I guess. Not too sure on that though.

fade2black
Originally posted by billpa

do you think the kangaroo could handle pumping RODI into the reaction chamber and then from the reaction chamber straight up around 3-4 feet? biillpa

Sorry it took a while to answer this for you, but mine had no problem doing this.

cool...thanks for the info F2B...I actually picked up a flexiflo pump off of ebay...same stats as the kangaroo 324...was going to get the kangaroo but the cheapest I found was a hundred bux...I got the flexiflo for 60 shipped...will let you know how it works out...btw...great thread you started!

billpa

fade2black

Yeah, $100 is about the going rate these days for a Kangaroo. I think I paid $90 for mine about 9 months ago.

• 10 months later...

This is a really cool project! I really think Im gonna try it. Everything else I've seen requires much more maintenance to keep running than this thing would. What kind of stirrer is that? I looked at a few on ebay and they seem to run between $30-500. What do I need to run this reactor?

I run my kalk reactor (a stoney reef) off a basic dosing pump with a float switch. If you look around, you can find one for about $90. I have tested my pump, and it will pump water up over 15 ft high. I just use regular 1/4" OD vinyl tubing to feed in and out of the reactor. What I like about the float setup is that I don't have to do any math to figure out what to top off, its totally automatic, escpecially since the evap rate in my tank fluctuates. I've used this setup over a year now, and I love it.

BTW, check www.ah-supply.com , I think they still have the dosing pump I'm talking about.

fade2black

blindreef - The stirrer is made by Hanna Instruments. I use a kangaroo medical dosing pump. You can get them off eBay for about $90. I then just closely match my evaporation rate and that's all there is to it. I cleanout the reactor about every 6 months or so and it has been running for close to 2 years now.

Archived