SaltCritters.com

DIY top-down porthole

Lalani

Made a quick and dirty top-down porthole today. Its rough and kinda bulky, but works just fine. Going to sand down the edges soon and put a few pieces of foam inside to fit around the lens snuggly to hold it in place. Made from PVC, acrylic, and gorilla glue. :)

10748334945_eccfa283b2_o.jpg
IMG_8553 by Ugiesnugums, on Flickr

10748640303_66a85d9cdb_o.jpg
IMG_8554 by Ugiesnugums, on Flickr

Took some test shots with the 28-135mm. Can't wait to try it out with the 100mm macro!

10748334995_5b809a0db0_o.jpg
IMG_8548 by Ugiesnugums, on Flickr

10748439504_6b5b555e78_o.jpg
IMG_8537 by Ugiesnugums, on Flickr

10748335095_bf7e8ae16b_o.jpg
IMG_8538 by Ugiesnugums, on Flickr

10748407206_b24218a2e2_o.jpg
IMG_8536 by Ugiesnugums, on Flickr

10748640413_65302d1826_o.jpg
IMG_8547 by Ugiesnugums, on Flickr

10748439824_bdd57630aa_o.jpg
IMG_8533 by Ugiesnugums, on Flickr

lnglostsurfer

Wow, such a great DIY! Makes me wish I had a decent camera to be able to do it. You have a way to steady it for macro shots (ie...tripod or similar)? Not sure how that would work...and how do you keep from blocking the light with the camera and porthole?

Sweet idea, and nice shots as well :)

Thanks! I made one of the flat boxy types a while back but this one is more maneuverable!

Wow, such a great DIY! Makes me wish I had a decent camera to be able to do it. You have a way to steady it for macro shots (ie...tripod or similar)? Not sure how that would work...and how do you keep from blocking the light with the camera and porthole?

Well since its in the water, there is no way to use a tripod (unless I bought one of those price ball-head ones, but nuh uh!). I just pushed the light fixture back until half of the top of the tank was exposed. In a small tank like mine its not easy to move it around but once I put it into a larger tank it'll be pretty easy!

That works nicely. A totally different shooting angle than 90° from the front glass (plus you don't have to scrape your tank walls before you take a picture). I like it, nice pics.

Wow that works really well especially considering its made of just a piece of pvc and acrylic. I think I'm gonna give that a shot too. I don't know much about cameras/lighting though, is there a specific reason you used black pipe as opposed to say clear or white?

Wow, what a clever idea! It totally changes the look of the pics from the usual front taken shot. I like the idea of it being round too...those large square ones are hard to maneuver. Nice work :)

Wow that works really well especially considering its made of just a piece of pvc and acrylic. I think I'm gonna give that a shot too. I don't know much about cameras/lighting though, is there a specific reason you used black pipe as opposed to say clear or white?

Do it! It was super easy to make. The pvc was white and I spray painted (krylon fusion) it black not only to cover up the writing and junk on the pvc, but to avoid any glares that white pvc might throw onto the acrylic on the inside. Plus, it looks nicer. :P

Wow, what a clever idea! It totally changes the look of the pics from the usual front taken shot. I like the idea of it being round too...those large square ones are hard to maneuver. Nice work :)

Thank ya! :D

Archived