Coral Vue Hydros

Blueberry Gorgonian (Acalycigorgia) Care and Culture

hypostatic

You would need to culture the shrimps which isn't too difficult but could get tedious doing that every day.

I plan on downsizing my 40B to a 12g Mr Aqua long dedicated to NPS at some point. Its size and shape I felt were perfect for a NPS tank. I could create flow something along the lines of this:

npsflow_zpsd1d3263e.jpg

Hmmm I've seen this diagram before, but I can't recall where it's from. Do you know it's origin?

EDIT:

Did a google images search which led me to this forum:

http://www.reefforum.net/showthread.php?7365-Pl%E2ncton-vivo-inerte-Gorg%F3nias-Corais-N%E3o-Fotossint%E9ticos

It seem to be by a Brazilian author and in Portuguese. LUCKILY, I am Brazilian, so I'll give it a read through and see what info I can discern from it.

Hmmm I've seen this diagram before, but I can't recall where it's from. Do you know it's origin?

EDIT:

Did a google images search which led me to this forum:

http://www.reefforum.net/showthread.php?7365-Pl%E2ncton-vivo-inerte-Gorg%F3nias-Corais-N%E3o-Fotossint%E9ticos

It seem to be by a Brazilian author and in Portuguese. LUCKILY, I am Brazilian, so I'll give it a read through and see what info I can discern from it.

Here is where it came from:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/1/aafeature

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good Evening All,

Continued success here in San Diego with my Blueberry. In reading this thread I see some of you have seen my posts on Wet Web Media. I'll be happy to share my experiences with this beautiful species. It's quite resilient once the environmental parameters are dialed in. Please forward any questions.

Steve

My specimen - 7 months and counting. Appx 7 inches in diameter...

Feb202014_zps1cec8fd3.jpg

Here is a close up near the base. At the bottom (and most in this view) are what I call "normal polyps" these generally develop in lower flow areas. The arrow highlights "high flow" polyps. In my experience, as the fan grows into a particularly high flow area, these specialized polyps "test the waters" for viability. If the flow is too great, this branch stops growing in this direction

Jan102014_zps16889868.jpg

From October (bad cell phone shot). Growth is pretty dramatic... I estimate 25% growth in 7+ months. Polyp density is up, and branches have thickened. The arrow highlights the "trunk" where new polyps started forming at about 30 days.

Oct2013_zpsbe1c45b8.jpg

Here is my set-up and parameters;

Equipment:
30"x30"x18" tank
24 gallon refugium /Chaeto (reverse lighting cycle)
3" DSB (med grain)
110lbs live rock

Dual MP-40s running at 35% (Tidal swell w/ anti-sync)
Apex Controller
pH x 2, ORP, Temp x 2, probes
Dual Ecoxotic Canons
Karollin 1502 Calcium Reactor w/ 1/4 Magnesium
Overnight Kalk drip (to counteract the CO2).
Precision Marine Skimmer (runs 24/7)
ATO

Parameters;

Temp: 76.9 - 77.5
pH: 7.95 - 8.25
SG: 1.026
ORP: 325 - 355 (day/night)
Nitrates: 0
Calcium: 420ppm
Magnesium: 1260ppm
Alk/DKH: 9.3
Lights: 12hrs (inclusive of 150 min ramp time at each end)
Lunar: Apex module

I'll try to pen out some updated care notes this weekend, this species is actually pretty hardy if held in the right conditions.

Although I don't claim to be an expert, here is my primer;

• Intense lighting is the primary culprit in failure. I run with my 10,000k source filtered down to about 20% transmission with a semi-translucent shade.
  • Point the polyps away from the primary direction of flow.
  • Keep that flow diffused and moderate, not brisk.
  • Cyclopeze is it's favorite snack. I use that, Marine Fusion and Coral Fusion. Mine have adverse reactions to Ova.
  • Don't blast with a pipette... you'll think it is grabbing food but it is just withdrawing from the extreme flow. Take your pump down to low (not off) and push the food gently through the structure AGAINST THE FLOW.
  • If algae develops on one of the tips, feed that branch heavily for about a week then prune off the affected area. By overfeeding, you put it in growth mode and localized healing is very fast.

Hope this helps. More updates this weekend.

No doser or special feeding schedule. I generally target feed a mix of Cyclops, Marine Fusion and Reef Fusion 3 or 4 times a week. I take the flow rate down and gently push the food (via pipette) through the fan against the flow. Some of the fan can't be reached, and lives just off the normal flow in the tank with no problem.

Sometimes, when work is hectic and I'm traveling, I just put the Apex on feed cycle and throw a couple of cubes in when I walk out the door. This is enough to get them buy... for a while.

One thing to consider, although this tank is only 10 months old, it is a transplant of a tank I've had for 8 years. There is a bountiful, self sustaining, copepod production. My Mandarins have lived for the past 9 years w/o any supplemental feeding... so there is lots of natural feeding opportunities for my polyps well.

Environment and light is their downfall... not the feeding regimen. IMHO

Archived