ReefCleaners.org

Minibow retro high temp?

s800

I have a 7 bowfront, with the 32W Smartlight retrofit and my tank gets up to 84 during the day. Is this too hot? Have other folks hacked on the hood a bit to create some ventilation?

I only have my LR in there so far, so I'm hopefully not killing too much.

Yes, it is in an A/C'ed room.

tnx

mine is in an ac'd room and it was getting up to 86. i got a 3 inch fan and now it stays constant at about 80. 84 may be pushing it alittle though.

Hey s800,

I was having a heating problem when I first got set up. To conquer the heating problem, I removed the glass under the lightstrip, and installed a cpu fan into the lightstrip. I have seen people use 2 fans as well, but one seemed to do just fine for this room. Our tank now runs around 80-82 at any given time. I have attached a couple pics of the fan.

lightstrip.jpg

lightstrip1.jpg

The fan is around 10$ at radio shack and it is called "mini CPU Fan (CAT NO 273-240)". I use an AC/DC converter that I also purchased at Radio Shack for around 10-15$.

Hope this helps,

Gil

Thank you! And thanks for posting the pictures

I was thinking of something along those lines, but from side to side- I like your solution better.

R

s800,

I have the fan pointing in towards the tank to help keep the fan alive for longer. I think that pulling air from the tank would destroy the fan in no time. I thought I should also mention that the fan and light are on the same powerstrip and the fan is only running while the light is on.

Gil

Just thought I'd mention, when I set the fan to suck out air, it made the overall cooling effect greater than when it was set at blowing cold air in.

Sucking or blowing, and age old question hehe.

Actually, if you look at prefabricated hoods, they always position the fan so that it sucks the hot air out and blows it away from the tank. This technique worked wonders in my college dorm days when we wanted to suck the smoke from the room and blow it out the window.

If you raise the lights a bit and position a fan so that it blows across the water you will be moving the hot air away from the water and, I have been told, this should also accomplish your cooling needs.

Archived