inTank Media Baskets

Reef Octopus Bh-90 = Awesome

FISK87

Don't bother reading this review, just buy the skimmer if you've been thinking about it..

Easy to assemble, pretty quiet, easy to clean, efficient skimmer.

Very good skimmer for the price point (I paid 160 for mine new on ebay)..

I've had it on the tank (36 g) for a week, it broke in after about 48 hours and it removed a ton of crud.. Very impressed. I've never used a hang on skimmer before. Once it broke in there are no micro bubbles..all in all, it does the job..skimmate is a LITTLE wet (more watery than sludgy)..who cares, its getting the crap out.. I MUCH prefer this design to the bh1000.. Would recommend it to anyone

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why do you prefer this design over the BH1000? I didnt know this model existed until I read your review. Currently it looks like BRS is out of stock on BH90. I was planning on getting the BH1000 when I get the cash but now I wonder if this one is better. They both look like they have external pumps, usually BRS has a rotating image but not on this product.

Here is a quick video of mine, bought Febuary 2013. Not sure what you wanted to see. I cleaned the neck and cup on this one yesterday. Last full cleaning was September. I am using it on a 20G, which it is really too large for and requires that I use CDX to keep the pH from dropping too low. I bought it to replace a second hand no name skimmer. It is much better than that was. I picked this particular model as it is fairly narrow and fit on the back of my tank along with my filter. Only complaint I have really had is that the body is hard to clean. As it is clear you get a lot of algae growth on the inside. Had the algae problem on my last skimmer as well and really most hang on back skimmers are clear. I have had some small problems with the pump not restarting requiring an unplanned full skimmer dis-assembly and cleaning which resolved the problem. That was just about a month after the planned cleaning which seemed odd but I have not had that happen again. I also have the OTP pump which I think they have stopped selling on this model.

So the body being difficult to clean, is that common with most skimmers? Or the BH1000?

Here is a quick video of mine, bought Febuary 2013. Not sure what you wanted to see. I cleaned the neck and cup on this one yesterday. Last full cleaning was September. I am using it on a 20G, which it is really too large for and requires that I use CDX to keep the pH from dropping too low. I bought it to replace a second hand no name skimmer. It is much better than that was. I picked this particular model as it is fairly narrow and fit on the back of my tank along with my filter. Only complaint I have really had is that the body is hard to clean. As it is clear you get a lot of algae growth on the inside. Had the algae problem on my last skimmer as well and really most hang on back skimmers are clear. I have had some small problems with the pump not restarting requiring an unplanned full skimmer dis-assembly and cleaning which resolved the problem. That was just about a month after the planned cleaning which seemed odd but I have not had that happen again. I also have the OTP pump which I think they have stopped selling on this model.

So the body being difficult to clean, is that common with most skimmers? Or the BH1000?

Never had a BH1000. I think it is a common problem on hang on back skimmers. Trade off between few leaks and easy to clean.

Got ya.

Never had a BH1000. I think it is a common problem on hang on back skimmers. Trade off between few leaks and easy to clean.

I think I am going with the BH90, it's hard to find reviews on the bh90 but every review that I have found is good. Ive also read little bit here and there about the body shape being better for skimming but there are never any details as to why. BRS is always out of stock on the BH90. As soon as it's in stock, the next day they are out again. Hope they have it when I get the money I have been want to try BRS out.

Got ya.

I think I am going with the BH90, it's hard to find reviews on the bh90 but every review that I have found is good. Ive also read little bit here and there about the body shape being better for skimming but there are never any details as to why. BRS is always out of stock on the BH90. As soon as it's in stock, the next day they are out again. Hope they have it when I get the money I have been want to try BRS out.

sorry, i haven't been around. I just find that the cylindrical design is more conducive with effective skimming...it might just be in my head....the skimmer isn't very loud and its really easy to clean..give it a week to break in..you won't be disappointed..

Hey all. I actually just got this skimmer and assembled it and was a little confused and hoping someone maybe knows some info that would help me out. The bh 90 I have has an aquatrance 1000 pump and I realized from the above comment someone mentioned they no longer come with that pump which answered one question. The next one, I realized that in my particular skimmer it comes with the "defoaming" device as the water output. However when you look at pictures online, some have this foam reducer and others have a PVC elbow for the outlet. Does anybody know anything about this or know what I am even talking about??

Archived