Cultivated Reef

need macro suggestions - 5.5g pico build

mattgreene22

hey, my main tank is a 46bow with mostly SPS and I've never focused on macro...but I've become quite taken with some of the macros I've seen here and elsewhere recently. i need some help picking some out to incorporate in this tank build.

The tank I'm building will be a simple 5.5g deep blue. I'd like to keep a few SPS along with some macros...which seems odd to me, but hey...it's what struck me.

The acros will come from my larger tank as frags...likley just 2-4.. The macros I will need to track down...likley just 3-5 varieties. I may also incorporate a phosynthetic gorg and a 1-2 zoas.

System is still being flushed out, but here are some plans.

-5.5g tank (in hand)

-evergrow d120 value fixture with a custom mix of blue and neutral whites (in hand)

-mp10 (in hand)

-AC3 controller (in hand)

-50w jager heater (pending pickup)

-small in tank box for low water level area and ATO switch (pending pickup)

-ato with aqualifter maybe running low dose of kalk (pending pickup)

-no sump or separate fuge, I'm hoping in-display macro serve that purpose

-one fish max (tailspot blenny???), maybe no fish

-maybe a small hob filter for special media as needed

For macros (where I need the most help), the following have peaked my interest:

-blue ochtodes (a turf, so I wonder if it will take over)

-Galaxaura (calcaerous)

-Coralline Cluster (see http://www.live-plants.com/corallinefine.htm)

-orange tipped dragon's tongue Halymenia (http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv244/stargate985/IMG_5620.jpg)

Looking for thoughts on whether these macro picks are good/terrible, or just if there are other macros I should really think about. Of course, you can tell I'm partial to cool/rich colors.

Thanks for all thoughts and advice!!!

Is this just not an active section?

Well it's pretty specific, so not super active. I know almost nothing about macro, so hopefully someone that does will see this soon!

I, too, am putting together a small pico which will be half coral half macros. My list would be red grape kelp, pink baby's breath, orange-tipped dragon's breath, dwarf blue ochtodes (the regular variety will become a weed), Mermaid's Fan, Galaxaura - don't know where to get this. I think a lot of macros are every bit as beautiful as corals. But since they are algae, they have a bad rep. Emerald crabs and Astrea snails will eat the plants, so plan carefully on how to handle nuisance algae. I plan on a yellow clown goby as a fish. Most of the macros you want are available at Reef Central.

Thanks, where are you looking to get the things on your list? Also, did you have any pics?

I found galaxaura at the same place as linked next to the coralline cluster in my first post

I don't have pics. The tank is still in the build stages, these are just plans for now. But I am sourcing what I want. Reef Central seems to have a lot of nice macros.

In an ultra clean SPS system, most macros will do poorly as there will be a lack of nutrients. GCE's coralline clusters may do well, as should calcareous plants such as the halimeda species. If you aren't experienced in keeping macros, I wouldn't advise the Galaxaura.

In an ultra clean SPS system, most macros will do poorly as there will be a lack of nutrients. GCE's coralline clusters may do well, as should calcareous plants such as the halimeda species. If you aren't experienced in keeping macros, I wouldn't advise the Galaxaura.

Thanks, I don't want a 'dirty' system...but I'm not expecting to be so ULN that macro will die. My 46bow is mainly sps and I don't do ULN there either.

The reason I'm thinking of adding a fish is I hope that it will help balance things out. In that balancing act, the nutrient levels would be low precisely because the macro is growing and the macro will grow precisly because I'm feeding a fish and creating some nutients. I'll plan to start with small clumps and frags to let the animals and plants find balanced growth...but I wonder if one macro will out-compete the others for nutrients...I don't want to dose 'extra' nutrients as there would be SPS. Thoughts on that?

Also, is there a reason you recommend staying away from Galaxaura? Given your success I'm sure there is a rationale, but I want to understand. Also, are there Calcium hogs among the calcaerous algaes? ...I don't want to dose anything more than some kalk with my ato.

Thanks!

Many macros, just like many corals, require specific care to thrive in the aquarium. Galaxaura requires moderate to strong indirect flow, and strong indirect lighting - so it should be shadowed by an overhang, receiving significant reflective lighting from the substrate. You will also need to keep calcium levels up (you will do that anyways for the SPS) and you should monitor magnesium levels as well, as most macros will do poorly when levels drop to the low 1200s.

I wouldn't say there are any real calcium hogs. You will want to be aware there can be significant pH swings in a macro heavy display tank, so extra oxygenation will be needed during the dark hours. You can do a reverse cycle with chaetomorpha if you keep the nutrient level up enough to keep it alive. That, along with skimming will help with the nightly oxygen depletion.

Thanks, that's really helpful info. I hadn't planned in a skimmer and wanted to keep a weekly water change schedule. Perhaps I should at least think about an airstone for some of the nighttime hours

ll_maynard_ll

In my mixed macro tank I've had good success keeping botryocladia or red grape. It looks nice and is a slow grower. My gracilaria hayi has been easy as well but its getting big so in such a small tank I don't know how it would work. If you can get the red branching or rhodopeletus from LAreefs mine has stayed small but has still shown some good growth and good looks. As far as gorgonians go, I've just started to try them recently and am pleased so far on how they are doing but long term I'm no expert on any of the above. The good thing about macros is I've found the add a beneficial element to the tank and look good as well. Plus they are pretty cheap compared to corals.

Thanks, that's really helpful info. I hadn't planned in a skimmer and wanted to keep a weekly water change schedule. Perhaps I should at least think about an airstone for some of the nighttime hours

At nighttime, pH and oxygen will both go down during lights out. The reduction in pH can be prevented with the use of aragonite substrate. This will also assist with trace element replacement. Low oxygen will kill fish faster than any one thing. Without a surface skimmer to remove surface tension, oxygen exchange is seriously compromised. I use air in most of my macro lagoons. Use large bubbles to minimize salt creep.

If you like red macros, both Dragons Tongue and Gracilatia Hayi are good candidates. I like the compact bush shape of G. Hayi. It is also easier to attach. With both of these red macros, when under bright illumination, they will get orange/yellow at the fast growing tips. I prefer there dark burgundy color when grown under more subdued lighting.

Patrick

Archived