ReefCleaners.org

Nanobox Duo Review - It's AWESOME

ninjamyst

I received my Nanobox Duo this weekend, and I am blown away by how awesome it is. Don't pay attention to the roll of toilet paper holding up the light. Dave is making a second arm for that side for me.

10467713585_bbf097e200_c.jpg

Specs

www.nanoboxreef.com

26 Phillips Rebel ES and SEMILED LED's

Warm white, neutral white, blue, royal blue, cyan and violet

Metal arm mounts

2 fans

Build Quality and Aesthetic

Sexy, solid, slim. It's easy to tell Dave has a passion for design. The attention to detail is seen throughout the entire product, from the actual unit to the driver box to the controller, and to the cables and connectors. It looks and feels expensive.

LEDs

The main reason why I chose Nanobox Duo is for the high quality Phillips Rebel ES and SEMILED LED's. The spectrum is amazing. Coming from an AI Nano, I never knew my corals can look this good. No more washed out, cold colors. No more spotlight effect. Everything looks more vibrant and pops with all the colors of the rainbow. The spread is amazing, and my 18 x 18 x 9 tank has no dead zone at all. The Duo can easily cover 24 across.

Controller

The Duo comes with the Coralux Storm controller. Easy to set up and offers the essentials such as sunset/sunrise, dimming control for different channels, moonlight, and etc. Cloud and thunderstorm effects are nice bonus. It is a good controller, but I have to say that AI controller is a tad better. The AI controller has easier navigation, more intuitive setup, and more fine tune controls.

Service

Often times, we look for the cheapest price or the most amount of features in a product. But IMO, service should be the 1st or 2nd criteria in making a purchase decision. And Dave really delivers. He responds to PMs / emails really quick. I was in a crisis when my AI Nano broke, and he really came through for me.

Videos

I took a video of my tank earlier for my build thread, and you can see how everything pops. This is with the light at a lower strength since it's in sunset mode. It's also more blue than day time. Watch in HD =).

Here's a similar video I took a few weeks ago with the AI Nano. Fast forward to 1:20 mark for full tank shot. Notice spotlight effect and how everything is white/washed out. Intensity was less than 30% on the AI Nano. This video was taken with my DSLR (Nikon D7000) while Nanobox video was taken a mirrorless Nikon J1.

Pictures

A few pics of corals in my tank with the new light. You can see more in my build thread too.

10467721814_30df5289c7_c.jpg

10392718556_476705d4b0_c.jpg

10392688295_41fb9817f3_c.jpg

Awesomeness. Did you have to aclimate your corals to the light when you first put it on? I am waiting patiently for mine to be finished up. It looks amazing. How is the heat?

These nano box lights are awesome.. Mind sharing what they cost? I couldn't find prices when I was looking at them.

Duo is $450. Mono is $350. Worth every penny.

Awesomeness. Did you have to aclimate your corals to the light when you first put it on? I am waiting patiently for mine to be finished up. It looks amazing. How is the heat?

Just a day or two. I am only using 30-40% of max intensity. It's insanely bright.

Sweet light

I can't wait for my hybrid . I sold my Vegas too quick, so for now I have 1 duo over my entire setup (48x20x21) . It's lighting the whole tank , but it's 14" off of the water . Lol

They are awesome fixtures for sure .

• 4 weeks later...

Ordering mine today for my PICO III that's being built. I went with it wrapped in carbon fiber. Thanks for putting up the review!!! I also like that I'm finding products that are just not mass produced in China.

Dave should be sending me a pic of my masterpiece any day now.

Because there aren't too many girls in this hobby, I had mine done up with a splash of pink! ;)

Dave should be sending me a pic of my masterpiece any day now.

Because there aren't too many girls in this hobby, I had mine done up with a splash of pink! ;)

cute. post it when you get it. i dont think i seen a pink one of his yet. there are so many people getting PicO + Nanobox now. can't wait to see all these new builds.

Dave, you really need to start an owners thread on your new sponsor forum =).

This review and some other input I got from Ninja, along with talking to Dave via email/phone, is probably the biggest contributor to me deciding on a NanoBox light.

I am super excited to get this light hung over my PicO -- I am going to give the EMT conduit light hanger thing a try, but I definietly want to see what the 2nd arm looks like when you get it in.

Archived