SaltCritters.com

Internet's 20L Reef. New LEDs!

Internet

I like the cave man, turned out great! Make sure you have it far enough away from the glass to where you can clean it or you will drive yourself nuts later on when the algae really builds up and you have to move rocks to clean...speaking from experience here.

Yeah, there's not quite enough room to put the mag float back there :( So I better rearrange now, before I start adding livestock.

Also ordered a CUC from reefcleaners consisting of

10 Dwarf Ceriths

5 Nassarius

6 Florida Ceriths

4 Nerites

Should be here Thursday, pretty excited as I've never ordered anything live online.

Alright, got the first coral in! Its nothing super special, but I think I got a good deal on it? 24$ for a Kenya Tree, Mushroom, and some ugly zoas / plays?

u0DJqcj.jpg

Got the CUC, everything is going well.

This Friday I will be picking up 2 Osc clowns, pretty stoked.

Those look like palythoas?

They may be, I'm not really sure how to tell the difference.

$24? I think you got ripped off.

Maybe, but its too late now.

The coral is doing well, all fully extended.

I also added 2 small clowns!

Heres one in its cave:

fbjN47o.jpg

Heres the Kenya, Mushroom, and paly/zoa things

UmaE2qt.jpg

... My Nerites keep leaving the tank, climbing down the front glass then skydiving to the floor, where they try and snail away, suprisingly none of the have died (3) and right after I put them in they go right back to cleaning or whatever they do. :wacko:

Your new scape looks really nice! It looks like you are off to a good start. I also like your new coral additions. Though they may be simple, I think they look nice. Your last picture does them justice. That kenya looks like it's glowing. :)

Thanks! They are definitely simple corals, but I wanted to start with some hardy and build my way up to more sensitive corals I want.

Your new scape looks really nice! It looks like you are off to a good start. I also like your new coral additions. Though they may be simple, I think they look nice. Your last picture does them justice. That kenya looks like it's glowing. :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks! They are definitely simple corals, but I wanted to start with some hardy and build my way up to more sensitive corals I want.

I started with about the same ugly coral collection. Those polyps may turn into something blue green in color. Good looking, but a tad invasive. :) You will never be able to get rid of the Kenya tree, even if you try. I have a 5 inch little tree I just noticed growing near the back of my 40.

Hope all is going ok, you have any updates?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sorry, I didn't see that someone posted in the thread!

So as of now, I've added some GSP, the clowns have been growing and have finally seemed to chill out and stop fighting for the most part. Everything is slow going and besides adding the GSP there has been nothing new due to the holidays and not feeling comfortable adding anything else while using that old Power comcrapt lighting.

BUT! Today my LED lighting fixture came in. I purchased an Ocean Revive Arctic s026. So I spent most of today thinking about the best way to suspend the lighting, and built it.

Ocean Revive

f4d3wMI.jpg

The LEDs, right now I have the whites at around 10% and the blues at 20%. This light is VERY bright.

Z5fUzDh.jpg

My ugly, yet functional light fixture hanger thing I built today for around 40$ total. I will probably cable tie the wires to the metal poles for a more clean look, but for now. Not bad.

iOlvUeB.jpg

Again, ugly yet functional ;)

2mj7VeN.jpg

So far I love this light, the shimmer is amazing. My clowns look so much more colorful, the orange is darker, and the white just POPs like crazy now. My mushroom has opened up a lot more and is lovin' the light.

At this point, I have some really bad Cyano and this stuff is getting really frustrating, this weekend I am going to pick up some Chemi-Clean and see if it does the trick. Another problem, my nitrates have been kinda high, and I'm thinking its because of the sponge I have in my filter and its just turned into a nitrate factory maybe?

Other pics.

My GSP, I've had about 5 or 6 new polyps grow since I've had it.

TATwHwV.jpg

Some Coralline I think?

VlPG2To.jpg

And the ugly... God this stuff is nasty, I added some cheato and its just coated some of it.

nOvvhw2.jpg

Alright, so thats whats up so far! Going semi-well. Will update with more pics if anyone would like them.

Looks like you are off to a great start. Nice and slow is the way to go. 2nd the update request when you get a chance

Updated.

I started with about the same ugly coral collection. Those polyps may turn into something blue green in color. Good looking, but a tad invasive. :) You will never be able to get rid of the Kenya tree, even if you try. I have a 5 inch little tree I just noticed growing near the back of my 40.

Hope all is going ok, you have any updates?

Updated.

Just wondering, did Chemi-Clean work for anyone else? I've heard good reviews about it and bad reviews too. Not really sure about this product.

You need more flow big time. Get another 425 gph pump on the left side of the tank to help stir things up and break up the flow from the filter. I would also make sure to turn those lights way way down and slowly ramp up.

You need more flow big time. Get another 425 gph pump on the left side of the tank to help stir things up and break up the flow from the filter. I would also make sure to turn those lights way way down and slowly ramp up.

They start at 10% on both channels, cant go lower than that.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed your posts. Looks like things are moving right along with normal new tank cycle. Hang in there it will be so worth it

For sure! Cyano is just so ugly.

Archived