Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ID This Purple Macroalgae (New Growth Pic 12/31)

eksblenny

Hey guys can you identify this macro. It's hard to take a good pic of it because it is a very deep purple and my lighting is pretty blue. The texture is stiff and rubbery (like vinyl). It has small nodes with light pink tips. It also has a single holdfast. It essentially grows out in a long stem with large blades, each blade being covered in these pink-tipped nodules.

When I got it 10/22:

IMG_0259.jpg

Today 12/31:

IMG_1170.jpg

ll_maynard_ll

Sorry, no idea. But it is a very nice looking macro. If it ever needs trimming and you want to make a few bucks let me know and I'll buy some of it off of you. Looks maybe like some species of galaxaura but by your description I have no clue. Good find though.

• 2 months later...

Well here is an update on this macroalgae. You can see that it is growing new blades. The blades start out smooth but eventually they develop the little pink tipped nodes. Most of the blades are developing them on the edges and the oldest growth is starting to get it all over the body as well.

The macro is still very stiff and rubbery and grows from a single holdfast.

http://s264.photobucket.com/user/erichatesmice/media/IMG_1170.jpg.html'>IMG_1170.jpg

Looks like gracilaria hayi in the second photo but that first photo doesn't at all. Never seen it have those little sprouts like that..

Archived