SaltCritters.com

I have now seen it all

Crakeur

I came home early today and went straight to my tank to check and see if my mh is still not working and discovered that my neon dottyback managed to swim up the output tube of mny refugium and into the refugium. I use an aquafuge so any of you that have seen them can imagine just how hard this would be. Now I have a serious problem. My net doesn't fit in the tiny outflow box within the refugium. If I take the tube out I will need to restart the flow and I will probably flood my room in the process. I'm thinking of leaving the dottyback there as a punishment.

Man fish are dumb.

Get a Cabella's catalog. Order the smallest fish hook you can find. Catch an amphipod... you know the rest.

That sucks. My LFS has those small display tanks that all share the same water through slots cut in the sides of them. The neon dottybacks are always labeled wrong on the tanks, when I asked why, they said it was because the dottybacks travel from tank to tank through the slots.

even stranger, I leaned over the refugium to assess the situation and the dottyback swam up to the surface and when I slipped my hand into the opening it swam into my hand. I lifted him out and placed him in the main tank. if he does it again he stays in the holding cell.

In case this happens to anyone else...

- try a brine shrimp net

- make sure you file the barb off the hook before you go fishing for your fish

- try using an eel feeder with a cap on one end of the tube -- put food in tube, wait for fish to enter feeder, tip tube so fish would have to back up to get out, pull tube out and into the main tank

a bit relieved but I was still tempted to leave him in the tiny holding cell. Not sure how long he was there but the rest of the tank seemed to enjoy life without him

Archived