ReefCleaners.org

My 29 gallon...(dial-up unfriendly)

despot101

i love the gsp going through the surface of the tank :) . Be prepared to be flamed by people for the mandarin in a 29g...

They can flame...they would be really pissed to know I had a (spawning) pair. Until the female jumped out. They both ate frozen foods.

Specs.

29 gallon tank, 5 gallon above tank fuge, pm hot-1 skimmer (soon to be euro-reef) 250watts mh (6500k) and 150watts vho (actinic), stoney reef nilsen reactor.

Ricordea Yuma.

DSC01547.JPG

Hammer.

DSC01238.JPG

I'll try to get some more stoney pics up tomorrow. Most of my sps's are brown just because there is no selection in ND. I order both the orang monti's. Next month I'll be getting some ORA frags that should color up the tank.

Here's a pic of my other clam.

Dsc01068.jpg

And one of my brown monti caps.

DSC01550.JPG

Some blue acro.

Dsc01062.jpg

And my sun coral. (The bubble algae in the background is gone now.....thankfully.)

Dsc01066.jpg

It is more difficult than most corals....just because it's time consuming. You need to feed it very often, and feed it meaty foods such as mysis shrimp, brine, silversides and such. Mine gets fed every other day currently. Personally I think it's worth the extra effort, since when its open it looks amazing.

That ain't too often. I heard from someone else you need to feed it like 2-3 times a day er something. Is it messy feeding it? How do you feed it?

Well I fed it daily at first until it bulked up a little bit and added some new growth. 2-3 times a day would be overkill unless you just fed small amounts each time. I feed mine right after I feed the fish (the smell of the fish's lunch wakes the sun coral up). I use a feeding cap (top half of a pop bottle) to keep my fish and shrimp from stealing the food away. I just put the food in a larger syringe (the type you use to inject meat) and squirt it into the feeding cap.

Also I forgot to mention earlier most of the rock is aquacultured florida rock. There is about 30lbs of florida and 15-20lbs of various fiji, and tonga.

Also most 90% of the corals are from frags only a few were collected from the wild.

Amazing tank congratulations. Do you feed the corals with phytoplanktoon or rotifers? Also are you happy with the coral growth under 6500K MH? As far as i know corals show a better growth under 6500K bulbs since their PAR values are higher than the bulbs having higher color temperatures.

Kadir

Right now I dont use live food. (Been kind of lazy.) I do plan on starting a phytoplakton culture soon and need to get rotifers also as my clowns have begun to spawn and I want to raise up the young. Once I have cultures of both I'll give the tank some extra food. The coral growth is great with the 6500k. I notice it the most in the sps's and the frogspawn and hammer. They have all grown like mad in the last few months.

Thanks for the reply. I have one more question. How did you make the mandarin eat frozen food? Had he already got used to eat frozen food before you bought?

nice tank.

how do you get ride of that bubble aglea?

so that rubbermaid w/ eggcrate really works? i got to try that. i too have the problem of all my frags blowing around also.

how do you frag your shrooms? pizza style or cut the head off?

I found someone in town that had a pair that he wanted to get rid of as he was taking down his 125. He said over the years they just started to eat frozen food. Just got luck I guess. They were both doing great, and had even started to spawn, when the poor female jumped out. :(

The bubble algae went away (well almost all of it, there is still a few small patches that I'll live with) mostly because of water changes and water quality. I also took out rocks and scrubbed them clean as often as I could. The tank has definately had its ups and downs.....bubble algae outbreaks and cyano outbreaks.. but right now it seems to be doing pretty good.

Yeah the rubbermaid works great. I used to use bridal veil over the top, but I've found the eggcrate works much better. When I frag I usually just cut off tops.

Here's a pic of my 5 gallon fuge. Not the greatest pic but shows off the coralline that my 10watt bulb has produced.

refuge03.jpg

Thanks! I hope to someday find a female that accepts frozen food again. I would really like to try get a pair and see if they will spawn again.

fastredponycar

very nice tank! Yeah that mandarin is beautiful!

I'm still new to this hobby and I'm getting a fuge in the mail sometime soon I'm hoping. What's that green mass of stuff in the 5g?

Archived