ReefCleaners.org

Most active & friendly fish for a Nano Cube?

flashmc

What are some examples of hearty, friendly, interesting, and outgoing fish? I want to make sure the tank is not looked at as boring, as this is the first SW tank in the house, and if I want any more, the rest of the family needs to also enjoy looking at it. The rest of the house doesn't understand "cool fish, even though it only comes out at night" logic, actually I don't totally understand that logic either.

I am going to be putting the Nano Cube together in the next few weeks, and in a couple months when everything is cycled sufficiently I plan on putting either one or two fish in. The fish will be accompanied by a clean up crew, maybe a shrimp or two, and whatever drops off the LR. A ways down the road I may add some corals, etc, but probably not for 6-9 months at the earliest.

I am really not too in to clown fish, so I would rather not go that route. Gobies and Blennies are awesome, but I have done so much reading I can no longer remember which ones are friendly, which ones are high maintenance, which ones dislike shrimp, which ones form symbiotic relationships with shrimp, which ones eat shrimp for dinner, etc.

I just want a/some fish that are cool to watch.

Thanks,

Robert

a occelaris clown fish!

they are fun to watch and they make some jokes lol i strongly recpomend a clown for you bevcause1:your new to salt and clowns are hardy2:theyre cool 3:if you have kids they will go crazy saying 'its nemo!'

apparently reefmaster did not read your post.

Damsels are painful if you ever want to add other fish, but they are awesome solo or poss. as a pair, plus you can choose colors to match your couch... in the same family, but as a tamer species, the green chromis can be neat in a trio, but thats alot of fish, and sometimes they get boring, and sometimes they get huge (slowly though)

My vote goes for Firefish, but they can also be shy.

You are right about the gobies. they can be a crapshoot... but they can really be cool (clown goby, citronis, watchman...)

Perhaps you should consider a tang or a grouper... they go over big on these boards(joke)

harbingerofthefish

Im not a big fan of clowns myself. I like dotty backs, but in your tank i would advise against one. Especially if you have shrimp in there. I know some people have luck, but not me.

I like pajama carnials. A cube is plenty big enough. not the most active fishes but they do atay out in the open alot

I think wrasses would be a good choice. lots of activitey. lots of different varities.

I will be going for a six line wrasse in mine, they are very active swimmers and interesting little fish. Lots of personality if you ask me. Not sure what else I'm going to include with that though.

40oz casualtie

same with me i'm goin w/ a sixline wrass those things are colorful fun to watch and not to violent to put w/ cardinals. just never get two of them in the same tank. clownfish r starting to piss me off b/c people always get them and they r like "yepee it's nemo i'm so excited " plus they can be pretty teritorial like the blue damsel and the yellow tailed but not as much as the others.

i suggest:

sixlinewrass

royal grandma fish

watchman gobie

pepermint or banded cleanershrimp

5 margarita snails and 3 turbos

5 blue leg hermits and 5 red legs

im going w/ a similar but larger selection for my 25g reeftank

IMO you should consider

Six-line wrasse

Bi-color dottyback (house by itself... very aggressive)

Yellow-tail damsel

Royal Gramma

Brazilian Gramma

Clown goby (pick a color)

Nano Cube hmm, lots of options enough to keep up past 2 Am every night just lying in bed and considering all the awesome combinations of a species specific tank.

I like orchid dottyback.

Firefish have awesome personalty especially when they are they are the primary fish in the tank, always out in the open. Possibly add small rock dwelling fish with Firefish. Very personaly interactive.

I find six line wrasse are boring just swim around real fast and leave that damn night bubble sack.

Smaller grouping gobies (catalina), shrimp goby combo.

Frogfish, dwarf lionfish. not joking Frogfish are very interesting but you won't be able to keep shrimp or other fish, they are awesome in with soft corals.

You are getting some great suggestions already - I would suggest considering a yellow watchman goby - small, cocky, will sift sand a little bit, beautiful - It's one of my favorite fish!

c_hemmerich

i would definately have to sya go with a flame back angel. they have gorgeos colors, purple and yellow, they only det inchs and they are generally pretty sociable. just a bit pricy

IMO a dwarf angelfish, such as the flameback, should not be placed in a tank smaller than a 20 long... they like to have room to swim.

Thank you to everyone for the wonderful suggestions, I appreciate it.

I still haven't decided what fish I will take care of, but then again I have a few months until a fish will be put in the tank anyway. Now I can go research all the suggested fish and hopefully make a wise decision down the road. I had originally figured I was limited to about one fish in the cube, but through some more reading it looks like I will be able to put 2, maybe even 3 in, that gives me many options.

Thanks again everyone,

Robert

A yellow-tail blue damsel and a small dottyback(springer's or sunrise) is a great combination for a small tank. They are active, colorful, and won't bother each other. Have damsel and dottyback in two tanks. Great!

• 2 weeks later...
2muchreef4u
Originally posted by 40oz casualtie

i suggest:

sixlinewrass

royal grandma fish

watchman gobie

pepermint or banded cleanershrimp

5 margarita snails and 3 turbos

5 blue leg hermits and 5 red legs

im going w/ a similar but larger selection for my 25g reeftank

cool, royal grandma???:)

• 3 weeks later...

If you want cleaner shrimp and pep shrimp, stay away from a 6-line. The 6-line is very cool but will kill shrimp...mine killed 3 before I figured it out.

Bi-color blennies have great personality and are low maintenance.

Goby and pistol shrimp pair's are way cool, I love mine.

Sexy shrimp are a must have(cool looking and always shakin that ass:))

other then that its really up to you, purple fire fish are pretty cool, i always liked 6 lines, but hey poke around there are lots of fish out there :)

I have a purple fire fish in my 29G. He is the primary fish and is out in the open probably around 75% of the time. He is a cool and beautiful fish IMO.

Archived