Coral Vue Hydros

tank pics 20K vs 10K

winnker

I would like to see pics of tanks with 10K MH lights and 20K MH lights I wanna see the color difference to see which I want to buy.

ReeferMonkey

Images displayed on a PC are usually a ballpark of how the tank will look but in most cases will not do the colors justice. Try to find a LFS or local reefer with 10k/20k setups that you can compare.

IMO, my 70w 10k w/ 32w 03 actinic is still a bit yellow for my taste. I'm going to switch to 20k w/ 03 actinic and see how it pans out.

For halides larger than 70w, there is a new line of "true" 13k bulbs, they're all the rage on RC right now. They come in several SE sizes and 150/250 DE.

i agree that the pics are accurate for how your pictures of the tank will end up looking. not how the tank looks in person. you really have to see the bulbs in person to get a real idea. i thought 20 K was super blue based on pics from the internet, but when i started mine on my tank i was pleased to find that it burns a nice crisp blue/white. i use a 20K XM DE and it looks just really close to a 10k with actinics all in one bulb.

fastredponycar

yeah. my pc's make the tank look really blue but that website gives you a good idea of how they stack up against each other based on one constant white balance value.

while we are on the subject...

I am setting up a 5.5g and have been researching using 2 or 3 coralife 20w mini 50/50 self balasted PC bulbs (the screw in kind). I have found all sorts of info on people using them, but haven't found any opinions on their color. If anyone has experience with them and an opinion on how the color of the bulbs looks, I would love to hear them.

ReeferMonkey

As far as PC, it really depends on taste. For high fluorescence, maybe 2 50/50s and 1 03 act? Or 3 50/50s may work for you. The blue (7100k) in the 50/50s is not the same as 03 actinic.

I used a 50/50 on the 32w PC over my MB7, and it was ok. Decently blue, but I didn't really comprehend how the colors would flouresce until I changed the 32w out for an 03 actinic. Talk about a difference!

ReeferMonkey, where have you seen 20kk 70w Halides? I know there is one by Tunze, but I havn't seen it for sale anywhere. I'm thinking about switching my Ushio for a 20kk as well.

Revance, the 50/50s do have true 03 actinic, I use them and think the color on them is really nice. I use 2 over a 5.5 and have an empty socket for when I get another. The corals really have a nice flourescent glow under them, but I still might even add more actinic of somesort. I like the metallic look IMO.

fastredponycar

i've got one of the screw in type PC bulbs in my 5g nano also. Nice color and for $20, it was cheap. $1 per watt.

In august, I'm going to be moving and plan on ditching it for a 10g. After seeing what a huge difference the MH bulb has made in my 29g, there is no other choice for the 10g than the 70w MH bulb with mabey a 32watt 03 actinic bulb suppliment since I've already got the nano retrofit.

Oh one more note, after looking closely at my tank with my eyes in comparison with the pics from the link I posted at the top of the thread, I haven't had time to play with the white balance on my camera yet but the pics that my camera takes look like the 20K coralvue bulb but my eyes see the color most similarly matched with the 15K coralvue bulb. that's with the mh bulb only. When I turn on the two Pc bulbs, it looks EXACTLY like the 10K coralvue bulb pic...EXACTLY like it.

Either way, there really is no comparison between my PC's and the MH. Not even close. The PC's throw a bit of the lower K spectrum into the tank which makes it look more natural with the yellow but not enough to make it washed out. It's perfect.

Derek_setter

i run a 10 k 70 watt usuio bulb w/ a 32 watt 10k/act. over my 15 gallon nano. It isn't very blue, but it sure makes it go from slighlty yellow to very crisp white :D i love it

Archived