SaltCritters.com

discus513's 5.1g Ecoxotic Dwarf Seahorse Pico

discus513

I'm so sorry about the loss! Its good you were right there and reacted quickly, so you could save all the other seahorses. There must have been something in that heater mess that you accidentally transferred into the seahorse tank. My only other thought is that maybe when you pulled out the internal filter, you released/stirred up a ton of detritus and crashed the tank? I think its more likely its from the heater though. So sorry! This hobby can be rough at times!

Those new babies are so adorable though! How exciting! What are they eating?

Yeah I thought the same thing with the removal of the filter, but because it is a bare bottom tank and I clean my filters regularly there wasn't really a whole lot of detritus in the tank at least not enough to crash the tank IMO. When I cleaned the filter it barely turned the water brown in the cup of saltwater I used to clean it, to be honest my sponge filter gets much nastier than the internal filter, that water is so dark brown you cant see through it when I clean it. The babies are eating BBS just like there parents, that is one of the good things about these little guys the newly hatched young come out looking like miniature versions of the adults and can eat the same thing, I have seen several of them snag a shrimp or two as they floated by.

Those are some super tiny seahorses lol... I didn't ready any of your posts because they are wayyyy toooooo long haha maybe just hit bullet points... or not. I'm just lazy.

since this is my first time with seahorses and the fact that there isn't a whole lot of info out there on them, I choose to go in depth with my posts, with lots of pictures. Maybe I can start bolding the text on the key points for the lazy people! LOL Yeah they are super tine about 1/4 - 3/8''.

Archived