SaltCritters.com

What pump would you reccommend?

Djm9288

HI I am putting my sump/refugium together, and I was wondering what pump should I get (submersible)? I was thinking either a mag or a ViaAqua, do you have any other suggestions? It would need to go up about 4ft. This is a 10g tank and a 5.5g sump/refugium.

Thanks

Daniel

Dan U need to do the Math yourself.

Check what the gph flow is on the overflow box is , abd shop accordingly. Im sure U have instructions and recomended pumps on it. ALSO.. If u have to fugure the EXACT head pressure, go to reef Central and use the Calculator function... its a handy thing that does the calculations for dolts who cant do complexx addition and division above a 4th grade level.

ZING !:P

Hey Dave,

I think it's more of a "which brand" question than a "what gph rating" question.

Next-and-related question. Someone told me you want the tank-to-fuge flow rate at 10x tank volume per hour. Sanity check, please: that's 10x the refugium tank volume per hour, yes?

10x is a general application for turnover. You sound pretty on cue.

I don't think you find a mag that small. Honestly I would consider something like 1 or 2 rio 800's or something. That is what I would do in your case.

You only need a max of like 50-60 and I think that would do it. I cannot remeber exact flow rated of a rio 800 but I'd check it out.

Cameron

i'd vote for the mag. i use both rio and mag but when i want dependability (i.e. sump/refugium, water pump-use) i go with mag.

i reserve the rios for small water movement (i.e. powerhead-use) and aesthetic reasons. the rios are very prone to scale buildup in a reef environment fsr.

plus you're going 7'+ (adding in right angles). the mag 2 or 3 should perform nicely. check their chart versus my faulty brain. ;)

Nothing good to say about rio, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. sometimes theyre noisy, sometimes theyre quiet. I'm about to change out the rio on my bakpak after a month. I have had a mag inthe sump of my 90fw for almost two years with absolutely no problems.

You could get the smallest mag and divide its flow thoughout the aqurium using a gate valve! :) It could power everything for you its capable of delivering up to a 7 foot head depending on how far above your tank your fuge is going to be you can run a leg of PVC up with a gate valve on it on it to slow the flow to the fuge. but make sure to T off of the main leg and put a spraybar or a outflow in the tank and then simply adjust your flow by adjusting the gatevalve. if there is too much head pressure to send it to the fuge then you will need another gate valve (closed just slightly to make the water go up the head. The bulk of the flow should go back to the tank and only allittle bit of flow to the fuge!. if you need help I can help you with that. Ive done alot of plubing in general so just ask if you need it. By the way the flow that you will have left by the time you run all that plumbing you dont have to worry about it being too much flow! :) just thought I would let you know.

Joe

Archived