Pod Your Reef

Lighting revisited

lostfish

I have located some hand me down flourescent 18" strip lights. They are the kind that are already wired and have plugs. I could easily if needed fit 8 of these inside my 10 gallon hood, at 15w a piece that would work out to 120 watts.

I dont plan on putting 8 in though, do you think 4 of these all running the 50/50 coral life bulbs would be sufficient to light some of the easier low light corals?

What do you think?

LF

Trust me dude, dont even bother with the 15 wattss. get Power compacts they last at least 1 year. Regualar no florescents need to be changed 6-8 months max. Each coralife light bulb cost $20.00 about the same as 1 pc bulb. $20.00 times 4 bulbs vs. 1bulb or to power compact bulb, which you can get at 65 watt, 96 watt power quad

Honestly, I've seen some pretty bad light setups for low light softies (and some stonies) and they did very well.

If you went that route it would certainly work well for you, but bear in mind like Kool-cat said, those bulbs are expensive.

You could *probably* (I will say probably because people do it successfully but I really don't like the practice) get away with using simple, cheap hardware store bulbs and replacing them when they burn out - not when their spectrum shifts.

Thanks guys, I didnt really look at it like that. I am going to have to deffinatly look at HelloLights or somthing for a decent lighting setup.

I appreciate it very much

LF

Archived