Top Shelf Aquatics

What the heck??

shutterbuggy

shutterbuggy

On my indonesian live rock (about 15 lbs worth) small faintly green elongated "bubbles" started to appear. First slowly and then more and more appeared. In the span of a month I would guess there being aprox. 100 of them or more. At first I thought that they were algae, but after closer inspection they seem to be "eating" --that is contracting there "bodies" and "winking" the two holes that are located on the top and side of them. The largest is about 1/4 an inch in length and they are transparent with a slight green hue. I have included a diagram of them (hand-drawn--sorry) so as you can get a better idea as to what they look like. If any body has the slightest idea what they are please let me know. I don't believe they are harmful, but curiosity is getting the better of me. Better safe than sorry, right?

Thanks in advance!

BTW--I have searched algae on the internet, and have yet to find one that remotely looks like what I have.

shutterbuggy

Here are my specs:

(will be upgrading soon)

Nano cube w/stock equipment

"dead" sand

15 lbs of Indonesian live rock

6 blue legged hermits

6 snails (most common variety)

no coral except 2 patches of hitchikers--zoos and a star polyp--I think

Sounds like a tunicate. They are filter feeders, and the "winking" is them producing a current to feed. They are not harmful, but may die if you are not dosing phyto.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived