SaltCritters.com

Photography and me.

supermarvin76

A bit about me- I like photography as much as I like reefs. I've shot medium format film on a Mamiya RB67, slides, old school negative, and naturally digital. My first DSLR was a Sigma SD9 and in 2004 I transitioned to Canon. For no particular reason, Canon. I'm not anti-Nikon or pro-Canon, I just ended up with Canon, and now, that's what I know and what I plan to continue to use.

When someone asks me what camera to buy, my reply is usually "You'll be pleased with anything Nikon or Canon, but know, you are buying into that line. Switching later will be quite expensive, trust me I know from when I switched over to Canon from Sigma. But foremost, a good camera will not give you good pictures, you need to know how to use that camera and have a basic understanding of the exposure triangle to get great photos; so don't rush out and stretch your budget buying the most expensive camera you can- you'll only end up disappointed."

Here is a list of what I've shot with- in no particular order:

Film:

Digital:

• Sigma SD9
  • 2 different Canon 10D bodies & 40D with numerous different lenses when I went through the normal newbie phase of "gotta have a lens for every possibility".
  • GoPro Hero2

What I use now:

• Canon 5D Mark II
  • 85mm f/1.8
  • 100mm macro
  • 17-40mm
  • GoPro Hero3
  • and my iPhone

I'm completely self taught, and I am lucky enough to make a little extra money with photography. My goal with this thread is to share a few pics I've taken, and help people.

So feel free to ask any questions and if you've made it this far through all my ramblings, thanks!

Here are some pics:

Canon 10D

Canon 10D

Canon 10D

Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 5D Mark II

Archived