Cultivated Reef

Thinking of getting a Canon PowerShot S120

seabass

I'm thinking about getting a better camera than my aging Canon A720 IS. I tend to use this camera to shoot tank pics because it has some manual settings. I also use a smaller Canon Elph, that we got about four years ago. I take it on vacations because it's small, and it's a bit better than the camera included in my iPhone 4. Also, back when they first came out, I got a Cisco Flip Video for shooting occasional videos. I figure that it's probably time to ditch all three for something small, is better than what I have, and does everything that I want:

• It should fit comfortably in the front pocket of a pair of jeans (while still being able to sit down). No, I don't wear "skinny jeans". ;) Pocketable sometimes seems to mean cargo pants pockets or jacket pockets. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't carry a larger camera around, and I don't really want to wear a case strapped to a belt.
  • I'd still need to take some video when needed. Although I'm not a big fan of taking video on trips. It feels like work, and I'd rather just enjoy the moment (and maybe just take a couple snapshots instead).
  • I want to take decent/better pictures of my tank (RAW should be a plus for this).
  • It should have better control of things like aperture, ISO, shutter speed, and white balance.
I've never had a high end camera before; so this would be my first venture into having a more complete set of manual controls and shooting in RAW mode. I checked out a Canon PowerShot S110 at Best Buy yesterday and was surprised how small and light it actually was (the Canon PowerShot S120 comes out in a week or two).

I've read the reviews and realize that the Sony RX100 is a better camera (mostly due to the larger sensor); but it is also a little thicker, and notably more expensive. I figure that the Canon would be a good choice to get my feet wet into this class of camera. And yeah, it's still just a compact point and shoot; however, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Any thoughts about my choice before I pull the trigger?

For point and shoot:

Canon - still #1

Sony - more expensive but came a looong way in the past few years with their high end point and shoots

Nikon - disappointment after disappointment...kill Coolpix line already

If I am looking for a small point and shoot, I will get the Canon S110. But if I can go a little bigger, I will look into micro 4/3rd for ultimate control and flexibility.

Thanks for the responses! :) It looks like there are a lot more choices if I'd be willing to get a bigger camera. However, being truly pocketable is very compelling to me. In addition, it doesn't look like I'd be giving up that much (as most reviews are relatively favorable). I'll certainly post an update when I finally get something (with a couple of test pics).

I do have a quick question. The S120 has a f/1.8 lens at 24mm, but goes to a much slower f/5.7 at telephoto. I've always used a zoom to shoot pics, but it seems that I'd get better results at a wide setting. Do you think I could still get good shoots throughout a 100gal tank at 24mm? I don't really care about super close macro pics.

Shooting at an aperture of around f/8 is generally gonna give you a better image so the f/5.7 when zoomed shouldn't be a huge issue. As far as the camera goes overall, the "S" series is Canon's best line of Pocket cameras with the "g" series being the only better line of Point and shoots. Overall, this is the camera I would reccomend to anyone wanting a great camera but not interested in the bulk of a DSLR.

This is no DSLR as you already know. You are not going to have the ability to pull out external speedlites for when you want them. It's not going to give you the same image quality as a DSLR. This camera does offer the most for it's size though and I think you be very happy with the purchase.

Even with two DSLRs and a bag for of lenses and gear, I still wish I have an "S" series just for casual carry.

Thanks Bishop!

Shooting at an aperture of around f/8 is generally gonna give you a better image so the f/5.7 when zoomed shouldn't be a huge issue.

That's good to know; makes me feel better about that spec. I sat through a photography session at MACNA one year. I didn't have equipment that related to the discussion, but I took some notes anyway. I'll have to dig those out and see if I can apply anything that they discussed.

Yeah, mirrorless system cameras are an interesting class. I've considered them in the past; but I rarely feel limited by the fixed lens on a P&S. And when I do, I usually realize that I probably wouldn't even have my camera with me (because I couldn't just grab it, and put it in my pocket). I don't think I'll ever be a serious photographer, but I still want a compact P&S with more options and better quality than what I currently have.

Sometimes I feel that it would be nice to have a good dedicated camera (with large image sensor, good macro lens, and Speedlite flash system) just for shooting fish and coral. However, I can't come anywhere close to justifying the cost of a second high end camera (and really don't feel that I have much of a need for one).

I've decided that I will get the Canon PowerShot S120 (with a SanDisk Extreme 32GB flash card). This should, more than, satisfy my immediate wish list. That said, I'm sure advances will make me want something better in another five years. I'll post a few pics after I get it (it's still on pre-order status for another week or two).

Look what just showed up on my doorstep:

100213a.jpg

Compared to the SD1200 IS ELPH:

100213b.jpg

100213c.jpg

Compared to my A720 IS:

100213d.jpg

100213e.jpg

Comparing the A720 IS to the SD1200 IS:

100213f.jpg

Taken with my new S120.

Here are a few quick pics (set on auto w/ no adjustments in Photoshop):

100213g.jpg

100213h.jpg

100213i.jpg

100313a.jpg

Here are a couple of shots while playing around in manual mode (without a tripod):

• White Balance: Evaluative mode
  • Shutter speed: 1/100
  • Aperture: F4.0
  • ISO: 800
100313d.jpg

100313e.jpg

100313f.jpg

100313g.jpg

On some of my tank pics, I'm picking up the reflection of the print on the lens ring. Any good suggestions as to how to avoid this (shy of using a black Sharpie to blacken it out)? I assume that I'm shooting too close to the glass; but I seem to get better shots if I'm closer to the subject.

Look what just showed up on my doorstep:100213a.jpg Compared to the SD1200 IS ELPH:100213b.jpg100213c.jpg Compared to my A720 IS:100213d.jpg100213e.jpgComparing the A720 IS to the SD1200 IS:100213f.jpgTaken with my new S120. Here are a few quick pics (set on auto w/ no adjustments in Photoshop):100213g.jpg100213h.jpg100213i.jpg100313a.jpg
What kind of grass is that? This is a test. :)

On some of my tank pics, I'm picking up the reflection of the print on the lens ring. Any good suggestions as to how to avoid this (shy of using a black Sharpie to blacken it out)? I assume that I'm shooting too close to the glass; but I seem to get better shots if I'm closer to the subject.

There is to much light on the lens. This is one example why it is better to take aquarium shots in a dark room. You want more light inside the tank than outside so that you don't have any unwanted outside light (that being reflected off the lens to the glass) to reflect off the tank.

Thanks, I think you're right (even though the tank is in the basement with no other lights on). How's that, you might ask? I was doing something in the tank and had the lights up much higher than normal; so there was a lot of light bleeding out of the tank. I bet that lowering the lights might solve this issue. Thanks again.

I've just been playing around with it up to this point (not really trying to get excellent shots). I haven't even bothered to get out my tripod, clean the tank glass, or shut off the pumps. All of the settings I've tried so far have had relatively quick shutter speeds (due to being hand held and shooting at fish).

It's a fun little camera to play with. It sure is easy to take 100 MB of photos in just a few seconds. I've already had a few "aha" moments. I know this isn't close to DSLR caliber, but it's sufficiently better than what I've been using to realize that I've been missing out. Probably still am (with its relatively nano-like sensor). I'm still learning how to make the most of it, but it seems like it's a good fit for my needs.

• 3 weeks later...

Great fish photos!

I have a similar camera (Powershot A3300), although not as powerful, and found

• dark room
  • lense pressed up against the glass
  • subject as close to glass as possible
  • clean glass + water
  • water flow turned off in some cases

made for the best, most professional looking photos. Then I edit my favorites on picmonkey.com. Also, zooming in on mine makes the image grainier when I'm taking reef photos; might not with yours since it's nicer, but something to look at.

Archived