SaltCritters.com

noob question

jimnyo

hi, i just started a 2.5 pico reef jar and someone advised me NOT to put in macroalgae. all i'm planning on having is corals and some inverts, but NO fish. i/ve only got a mushroom coral, shrimp, nassarius and cerith. but i am confused on the advice to not use macroalgae, b/c i thought it would be very helpful to keep nitrates down naturally. the person who posted that advice has not replied in a week. any thoughts?

If you're planning on having corals in a pot that small, there really won't be room for macro, as it will tend to overgrow the corals. Even a slow-grower might do this unless you really stay on top of it.

If you want one that might work out, try to find pink Galaxura (AKA pink galaxy). It's not intrusive, grows fairly slowly, and won't get everywhere in your tank...it's calcareous, so it will use some Ca as it grows.

Unless you are planning on the macro being strictly decorative, you really won't need to use it for nutrient export. With a 2.5 gallon tank, it is really easy to just do a 1/2 gallon water change or so every week to stay on top of excess nutrients. A lot of people with pico tanks do the solo cup method...ever other day or so they just dip in a clean solo cup and pull a cup out, put a cup of fresh saltwater in, very easy way to do it as long as you keep parameters the same on your water change water.

thanks, that's good to know. i just loved the look of the red macroalgae that's in weetabix's thumbnail signature and that was in the pest tank that won that competition...

thanks, that's good to know. i just loved the look of the red macroalgae that's in weetabix's thumbnail signature and that was in the pest tank that won that competition...

If it is titans or flame macro, you can just trim it. They aren't invasive or anything. Just prune away.

Lol if you want to have it in there ..put it in there! Macros are gorgeous, add a touch of nature to our tanks, and are easy to keep with proper lighting. So hey why not?

• 2 weeks later...

i really don't get why people are against it? i just had someone post in another thread w/my jar that they were "afraid of that green macro" i had in there. there's hardly any, so it's not overgrown, so i'm completely mystified by this reaction. also, where is the best place to buy some Galaxura (AKA pink galaxy), titans or flame macro?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived