Coral Vue Hydros

What fish are considered "Jumpers"?

FamousGuy

I have found that it helps to talk to them and see their mental state. Often, a suicide can be prevented just from a little talking. You find out which fish may want to take the reverse plunge and you sit them down and discuss what's bothering them. If help seems futile, flush the bastard!

Stay away from orange diamond gobies. They're cool fish, but they're skittish as all hell. I've had three of 'em go the way of the kitchen floor.

On second thought, they're probably not something you should keep in a nano reef. I kept a couple in my 28, which was probably barely big enough.

Another one to stay away from is the dottyback. If they get spooked, they'll find a way to jump out and get to floppin' around.

As you can tell, I've learned more from my failure than from my success.

as everyone alludes to most any fish can be jumpers. i've seen longhorn cowfish make the leap. (shhh...he's just sleeping on the counter :*( )

If it hangs out near the bottom of the tank and/or has a long thin body, it's probably an excellent jumper and/or escape artist.

The best jumpers in my brackish and freshwater tanks are the gobies and gudgeons. Go figure.

All the ones that avoid the 1/4 inch thick cover glass and sneek out past the overflow and U tubes....in the 1/4 inch gap of "THE GREAT EXCAPE" in the barbed wire fence beyond the Machine gun nest and..... WHAT ! U guys dont have Machineguns?

surprisingly, nobody thought to mention the flying fish. They love to take flight, as do Great White in Australia, some Mako sharks, Manta Rays and even the odd whale will do a nice belly flop. I would also avoid snakeheads as they can jump and then proceed to walk around your home, eating your food, impregnating your dog and leaving you for a better host.

Archived