Innovative Marine Aquariums

Huge Pods, baby Clams

2muchreef4u

2muchreef4u

i found this site that has a great idea about having a 'clam bed' in a fuge. basically they offer 100 clams about 1/4"-1/2" in size for about $10. i think this a good idea of having clams live in a dsb in your fuge since clams live in the sand bed, filter feeders and stir up the sand maybe even better than hermits or gobies. has anyone tried this yet?

clams_sm.jpg

also check out this sites' pod farm-huge

amphipods_sm.jpg

by the way, here's the link: http://www.octopets.com/Merchant2/merchant...de=Octopus-Feed

i've thought about clam/mollusk refugiums but the drain on ca/alk would be tremendous! you'd probably get better results and similar ca/alk drain from halimeda.

another drawback on the clams is that they are filter feeders and they may extract more zooplankton than they contribute to the water. plankton generation being one of the main reasons (imo) for a refugium in the first place.

finally, actual exporting of the bio-accumulated waste would be more difficult with clams than algae (e.g. halimeda above). you can just prune and toss with algae. you could theoretically do the same with clams but it just seems more wasteful (animal vs. plant). i wouldn't eat it. jmo

2muchreef4u
Originally posted by tinyreef

i've thought about clam/mollusk refugiums but the drain on ca/alk would be tremendous!  you'd probably get better results and similar ca/alk drain from halimeda.

another drawback on the clams is that they are filter feeders and they may extract more zooplankton than they contribute to the water.  plankton generation being one of the main reasons (imo) for a refugium in the first place.

finally, actual exporting of the bio-accumulated waste would be more difficult with clams than algae (e.g. halimeda above).  you can just prune and toss with algae.  you could theoretically do the same with clams but it just seems more wasteful (animal vs. plant).  i wouldn't eat it.  jmo

A+ Response;)

Archived