Top Shelf Aquatics

Does chaetomorpha absorb iodine from the tank?

BlueThumb

Does chaetomorpha absorb iodine from the tank? I have quite a bit of Chaeto in the back of my 28 gallon and wondering if it could be absorbing the the free iodine. I don't test for it yet but will if someone has evidence to believe that macroalgaes in the tank, when in large quantities relative to water volume, can create an issue.

Anecdotal evidence: my green star polyps tend to lose color and then retract for extended periods of time. When I dose iodine back into my system, they come out the next day and their color starts to return. I don't like dosing iodine given I don't measure it...so I see this happen over and over again. Coincidence - or sigh of iodine deficiency?

Thanks for looking!

I have a small air-stone skimmer; I'd be surprised if it worked that well. In fact, I'm trying to replace it with an old sapphire skimmer.

It's possible I don't have an iodine issue and that my green star polyp behaviour is a strange coincidence.

wow.such.chris

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/4/chemistry

"It turns out that macroalgae in general can take up both iodide and iodate, with a preference for iodide."

Check the article out, the author is working with chaeto in specific.

Edit: make sure to really raed the article, he states that the increased growth from iodine supplements is NOT statistically significant. (9% increase)

I have a small air-stone skimmer; I'd be surprised if it worked that well. In fact, I'm trying to replace it with an old sapphire skimmer.

It's possible I don't have an iodine issue and that my green star polyp behaviour is a strange coincidence.

my DIY airstone skimmer pulled more gunk and funk than my current tunze 9002.. don't underestimate a properly tuned airstone skimmer..

Not to hijack my own thread, but totally agree about air-stone skimmers. But only when built to match the tank. The JBJ one I have is OK but not great. If I can't get an old Sapphire from a supplier at a smoking deal (in the works), then I will build my own. For example, the best skimmer I ever used/built was a custom 30 inch Berlin style skimmer (downdraft) that used a separate powerhead and high-volume air pump driving two extra-long limewood stones. I was able to fine tune airflow and water volume separately (without impacting bubble size), which allowed for a very dry foam. Every now and then I'd go back and make adjustments based on tank conditions. If I ever run a sump again, this is exactly what I'd do again.

Archived