Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Those darn peppermints...

Goofnut

You know, I was JUST about to post a new thread about my peppermint shrip tromping all over my yellow polyp colony rock looking for food when I noticed something that surprised the heck outta me. I bought the rock some time ago and grew a 1.5" aiptasia on it. It started sprouting babies, so I decided to get a peppermint (Lysmata Wurdemanni) to clean up the new guys, as I didn't want to have more than one running around.

SO... as I was sitting here typing up a thread asking what I could do to keep my peppermint from doing a waltz on the polyps (they've only been open about 25% of the time in the last week or so since I got the peppermint) I noticed a strange slime trail coming from the top of the rock. I was really concerned and trying to figure out if it was just a "thread" from the Flame Scallop.

Then, it hit me... the pep ate my Aiptasia! I was so used to seeing the aiptasia there that I didn't even notice it was gone. I sat there, stunned, for a few moments and then took my hat off and mourned the loss of an Aiptasia. :(

It only took a few minutes. I know this cause I was taking pictures less than 5 minutes before I walked over to check on the status of the polyps. There's only a small bit of the base and some gelatinous threads swaying in the current. I totally didn't expect that he'd eat an aiptasia that big. I don't expect that he'll grow back, either, as the peppermint is VERY efficient about cleaning them off the rock.

How strange, that one could become attached to what is generally considered a nuisance. I guess it's like having the ugly kid on your block. Everyone snickers and points, but you still love them all the same ???

Hmm...I'd say congrats. hehehe sorry.

There are so many of us out there who battle aiptasia using peps to no success, and here you are, not wanting the aiptasia gone and then upset by the loss of the aiptasia. How ironic. :D

hehe :-) Well, I didn't want THAT aiptasia gone!!! :P I just wanted him to eat the babies and keep the population under control. They're kinda fun to watch. I actually fed him -it was cool watching him cram food into his mouth :-)

The peppermint is a VORACIOUS eater. The clown will eat little bits of mysis and brine shrimp hanging from the turkey baster and it's neat to watch the pep scoot his way up to turkey baster to take his turn. He eats more than my clown! Maybe I should pimp him out to other peoples' tanks X)

Archived