Cultivated Reef

Cloudy Eyes... this doesnt look good...

krusty

Odds are it is a bacterial infection. Usually that happens when they scrape their eyes on something (or get it injured in a fight).

The best treatment is to put the fish in a hospital tank and treat with Maracyn II.

Actually, I just noticed you said both eyes are cloudy, which is not likely to be caused by physical damage. There's still a good chance that it's bacterial, and Maracyn II is the best damn bacterial infection treatment you can buy. But there's a small chance it has a different cause.

Are there any toher symptoms? Excessive rubbing, not expanding fins, white or black spots or blotches, high respiration, lethargy, redness in the fins, open sores, swollen abdomen?

There are no other signs other than him being alittle lethargic... The only other odd thing is, I had my small snowflake eel dissapear for 2 weeks without eating, then i finally got tired of waiting and dug him out from under the rocks to see that he was actually still alive but had 2 large open sores on his body.... what do you think? thanks for the advice

Yeah, definitely sounds bacterial. soemthing like Vibrio, which is mostly stress-induced. Can you think of anything that might be, or have been, stressing your fish recently?

Water quality, specific gravity, lack of food, bad food, unstable temperature, etc.?

The best cure for diseases like vibrio is removal of the stress and natural immune system enhancers. Happy, healthy fish will fight it off.

Soak you flake food in garlic ract and selcon (alternating feedings, or maybe 2 of garlic, 1 od selcon, etc.). If you've determined water quality isn't a problem, up your feedings to twice a day. Just be very careful to feed slowly to avoid as little uneaten food as possible. You want them to injest as much garlic and HUFA (from the Selcond) as possible. Within a few days, things should start clearing up. If there is no change within a week, then you'll need to quarantine and treet with Maracyn II (quarantine because the medication is not safe for corals and snails).

Good luck, and let us know.

Matthew

Sorry about my sloppy typing before. That's garlic extract. Available at pharmacies, healthfood stores, and more expensively, at your local LFS store.

• 2 weeks later...

Copper Poisioning. It is a little known fact that Lions and Puffers do NOT react well to copper. Often in shipping and quarintine at wholesalers, they are subjected to high levels of copper with little of no acclimation time. Try some mella fix as a bacterial infection may be secondary also.

AFAIC, the lion has a 25 % chance of comming out of it. also did U feed it any LIVE feader fish recently?

yeah, what dave said, feeder goldfish is a common food that LFS will tell you to feed them with.

but is not actually recommended..cuz it can cause alot of problem to your fish's diet and health......

• 3 weeks later...

Archived