Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Elite M2 Sump from Elite-Aquatics.net (pic heavy)

tigrtraps

The Elite-Aquatics.net Elite M2 sump is one of those high end aquarium pieces we often drool over for hours on the internet. I’m happy to say when it is in your hands it is even better than the pictures and description make it out to be. I was the lucky winner of the Reef-2-Reef (yes a different forum, I want to be up front on how I got this sump though) give away for the Elite M2 back in May of this year (2013) that was sponsored by Elite-Aquatics.net. One of the Elite-Aquatics guys was quick to say “Hey, congrats! You can have the regular model 2 or we have something even better coming if you don’t mind a wait.” I gladly said I would wait, and with monthly updates and teases it’s been one of the better waits I’ve held out for.

The Whole

u4tXQ2K.jpg

A sump should have weight, right? This sump has presence! The clean lines that are both inside and outside of the sump, combined with that flat white eurobrace, allow the sump to stand out in the open with pride.ZnZs32v.jpg

Nothing is out of place luckily. Anyone that has had a sump will quickly realize all the thoughtful design that went into this before having to look up any manuals or paperwork on it. The entire sump utilizes cell cast acrylic. This type of acrylic provides a high optical clarity, holds up better and longer overtime (verse say extruded acrylic), and machines cleanly. Speaking of the machining, the lines are all clean and come together perfectly.

Drain chamber

gkdI6N7.jpg

The Elite M2 features a new design that is showing up more and more in sumps, an overflow chamber that fills into two socks! There are two 1” drain lines to go into an open space, that fills with water and hits the first sock. Depending on your specific water flow speed, the second sock eventually picks up any extra water flow. IF the socks manage to overflow from not being changed drain ports above the socks will still let water flow into the main filtration area. It would be difficult to make this sump overflow onto your floor. The sock holders are 4” in size each and accommodate my Eshopps filter socks perfectly. Look closely and you can see that the filter socks actually sink down into the mounts, this is important as it keeps the socks from being knocked loose and makes sure there is a decent seal so all the water goes through the filters.

I also wanted to mention (and show)that it’s easy to get a suction hose into this first drain area and suck out any detritus that may build up.

Main Filtration Chamber

PMSQVct.jpg

The main filtration area for your skimmer/chillers/heaters measures 16 and ⅜” long and 10 and ⅞” wide for the insertion of devices (the size of what could go straight down in consideration of the eurobrace). Internally you have by 17 & ¼” long by 15 & ⅛” wide of space to move things around in. The dual heater bracket sticks out only an inch into the sump and is very much out of the way. Check out the GIF below for the unique part of this sump.

gnw8TH6.gif

An adjustable water level baffle that adjusts from 5.5” in height to 9.5”. The great thing is this can be set while the sump is filled with water due to the hand screws no need to empty the sump completely and then adjust. There are also the 3 probe holders that go up and down with the water level baffle, and also feature hand screws All hand screws have space to stick a flat head screwdriver (or even a quarter) for adjustments. There are more ‘overflow’ ports at the top of the middle chamber if you put that adjustable baffle all the way up and the flow is too much, the overflow goes through these ports and into your return chamber.

XxeZdqN.jpg

Return Chamber

wCp9EyH.jpg

The return chamber has more thoughtful construction. A single bubble wall guards your return pump against the constant onslaught of turbulence. An ADJUSTABLE dual float switch bracket resides here as well. This bracket can also be removed if it is in the way of your own setup.

sjOAU8m.jpg

If you can’t tell, I love this sump. Yes winning it didn’t hurt my feelings towards it, but if it actually sucked I would of sold it on Craigslist and bought something better. I have had a previous sump that I purchased from Elite-Aquatics as well. From that original Model 1 sump over a year ago to this recent Elite M2, the guys have always been quick to respond to my emails and questions. They have always treated me as an important customer, and never pushed me to the side or made me wait for answers. The shipping packaging on both sumps I’ve received from them has also been perfect as well, with their own guarantee to make things right JUST in case something happens.

Extras

70NBtqb.jpg

W4msfBn.jpg

V9UUGKz.jpg

sweet sump reminds me of the new vertex.

off topic: where did you get that suction hose for the sump?

That one came from PetSmart. Has a bulb on it for self starting, can't remember the size on it but it was the 'medium' in the line up of suction hoses they had.

sweet sump reminds me of the new vertex.

off topic: where did you get that suction hose for the sump?

Lol caught my eye too. Its a gravel siphon pump, $10 in the fresh water section at petsmart.

Archived