Cultivated Reef

100% more clams and inverts! ~ Isles of sticks

xzeror

coral+, I absolutely love the addition of t5's, and yes, I think it shows colors I never saw under led alone.. or maybe it's placebo, idk, I just know I prefer the combo. I also removed the optics a few weeks before adding the t5's.

16096647352_d1854716c4_z.jpg

That looks awesome! Whered you get those lights from?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks awesome! Whered you get those lights from?

thanks! I ordered them off of amazon, they're sunblaster grow-light strips for growing "tomatoes" at home. I've been told the ballasts in them are apparently not optimal for t5ho but they seem to be working fine for me, I'd be more concerned if they were my primary lighting but as supplements I don't think it's too big of a deal..

thanks! I ordered them off of amazon, they're sunblaster grow-light strips for growing "tomatoes" at home. I've been told the ballasts in them are apparently not optimal for t5ho but they seem to be working fine for me, I'd be more concerned if they were my primary lighting but as supplements I don't think it's too big of a deal..

Thanks for the info. My idea was always to get a cheap 4 bulb fixture and just cut jt down the middle and make a bracket to attach to the photon.

The tank is looking better than ever! Everything is loving its new spots and Im loving the two island feel.

Still waiting for my new led board from reefbreeders so I can replace my photon 24 with the larger 32" unit. The plan is to throw the photon 24 in the sump and put all my frags and frag racks in the fuge to clean up the display.

UPDATES!

Almost here!

2015-02-05%2009.07.21.png.jpeg

Finally this arrived! This will be for my gf, she really wants one and I decided a pico this size would be a good starting tank. She's the one who wanted a tank that was "different." She didnt like any of the cubes or rectangle tanks haha. Plans are to have inverts only w/ maybe softies/zoas/ and some lps. I want to see if maybe I can build a diy led to replace the stock leds. Ill update some more later after my exam today!

2015-02-05%2009.05.58.jpg

Unboxing!

20150205_170558.jpg

20150205_170626.jpg

20150205_170616.jpg

Pretty excited about setting this up with my gf :) have a few ideas of what i want with this tank.

The light deff has to go, maybe ill make my own leds to place in there. ill prob get rid of the filter pad and drop in a media bag with brs rox carbon and some gfo for filtration.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Replacement board for the photon 32 came in!

20150207_143414.jpg

Can you tell which ones the old one?

20150207_205634.jpg

Gave it a good cleaning

20150207_205640.jpg

Let there be light.... MORE LIGHT. No more shadows!

20150207_214636.jpg

My equipment...ignore the mess

20150207_214646.jpg

2015-02-08%2004.02.29.jpg

Should I be scared of it being too powerful since its a new board and extra leds? Also what height off the water should i have it at? I think its at about 7 or 8 inches above.

You sir have a really nice Acan collection. Also nice pick ups from Morgan.

Also for the leds,I'd maybe turn them down some,and or move them up just a inch or town. How many total leds were out on the old board ? It looked like quite a few.

You sir have a really nice Acan collection. Also nice pick ups from Morgan.

Also for the leds,I'd maybe turn them down some,and or move them up just a inch or town. How many total leds were out on the old board ? It looked like quite a few.

My light was a photon 24. I bought a photon 32 with messed up leds for cheap and I just replaced the board. Basically i upgraded from my old photon 24 to a 32.

Thanks man! Ive had a few problems with my lps :/ i lost my beautiful scoly and some acans.

Picked up some new zoas :)

1. CB Punk Rockers

2. My Clementines

3. Pink Hippos

4. Goblins on Fire

20150209_215131.jpg

My entire frag rack filled with zoas. I dont know where to place them on the rocks. Any suggestions?

20150209_215120.jpg

20150209_215150.jpg

My buddy is setting up a new tank after his old one crashed so I'm holding some frags for him. He couldnt resist some frags of frogspawn and this is one of them. It looked like a normal green w/ purple tip frog till I picked it up and noticed some neon green tips. Hope its a morph that continues.

20150209_213123.jpg

Do you think this coral is beaching out or its just coloring up? I got it with blue tips and brown/green body. Since in the tank its colored up to darker blue tips and all green body with some white near the tips.

Before new light:

2015-01-29%2010.01.10.jpg

After, although its getting more white. The tips that were green along the base are turning blue as the body turns white.. i turned my lights down just in case but I wanted a second opinion.

20150212_142724.jpg

Also if anyone can ID this for me that would be great so i have an idea how it should look like.

Mr. Microscope

It's hard to tell as those two photos are in completely different settings. Could be browning out.

About ID, I can't tell anything by the first photo, the the second kinda looks like an ORA Joe the Coral.

It's hard to tell as those two photos are in completely different settings. Could be browning out.

About ID, I can't tell anything by the first photo, the the second kinda looks like an ORA Joe the Coral.

20150212_200402.jpg

20150212_200457_1.jpg

20150212_200504.jpg

The best pics I could get :/, thanks again guys.

Sounds like growth to me... and to me, it looks like an A. nasuta.

Added some more pictures.

After looking at some pics I think you might be spot on!

Picked up this ORA deresa clam along with an anemone shrimp and pink feather duster today. Quick pics before work. Clam opened immediately :) and the shrimp found the anemone pretty fast too.

20150213_155902.jpg

20150213_155910.jpg

20150213_154337.jpg

Picked up some new zoas :)

1. CB Punk Rockers

2. My Clementines

3. Pink Hippos

4. Goblins on Fire

My entire frag rack filled with zoas. I dont know where to place them on the rocks. Any suggestions?

I have a couple suggestions for Zs & Ps.

1. If possible, I like to glue them to a small piece of rubble rock, and then to the live rock in the tank. That way, they can grow onto your live rock, and then you can cut out and remove the original piece. This let's you seed a few different areas, or keep the original piece for selling/trading. If you can figure out how to attach the frag plug to the rocks, that works too. I've cut the base of the plugs, so it's just a disk.

2. Placement is kind of trial and error. If they've been on your frag rack for a while (where they likely get low light), you should be able to see what kind of light they want. If they seem perfectly content where they are, lower light is probably okay. If they're stretching, or growing only toward the light, then they probably would prefer a brighter spot.

3. After that, when selecting a spot, I like to leave them plenty of room to spread out, and I try to place them with contrasting colors. Google the color-wheel, and try to line them up with colors on the opposite side of the wheel (purple with orange/yellow, or red with green/blue). It'll give you some good contrast in your tank.

Archived