Top Shelf Aquatics

Is Powder Coating safe?

Travis

I am going to be making my own custom hood out of steal then I am going to powder coat it. My question is, is this safe? I will be haveing a 150w MH under that hood and two 115VAC-60Hz Cooling fans in there, so I don't think heat will be a problem, will the powder coat chip cause of the humidity? or does no one here know about the affects of the chemicals lol. If any one knows that this is a bad idea, let me know. If it is, I will go w/ an Aluminum hood instead of steal w/ powder coating.

NOTE: if this thing turns out the way it should, I will be selling them to who ever wants one, any length, just as long as it's squared or rectangular, something w/ no arches like bow fronts ;)

I don't know too much about powder coats, but I do know that an aluminum hood would be better for cooling. In the computer world, aluminum cases are known to lower temperature by as much as 10 degrees over steel cases with the same specs. Also aluminum is much lighter.

Yes, powder coating is one of the MOST resistant material to salt. It is baked to make a hard coating, if hit with a hammer, it will dent, not chip. I helped a guy set up a business doing powdercoating, the stuff is awesome!

Archived