Pod Your Reef

Will dying macroalgae INCREASE nitrate level?

ninjamyst

I ordered some Red Gracilaria a few days ago, but they are turning green. I assume this means they are dying. Nitrate is at 15ppm before and after adding them. I am debating whether I should keep them in there for a few more days and hope they bounce back or just toss them out now. If I leave them in there, will it increase my nitrate level as they die? My tank is new and I want to get nitrate under control. I already did a 20% water change yesterday.

Dying macro will release any nutrients it's absorbed back into the water column, which would most likely include nitrates. The amount may be so small though that you may not even notice the increase.

• 4 weeks later...

Red macro also sometimes turns green if the lighting is too bright. Just a thought.

Really? Weird! That's the opposite of how I've always heard that it works in freshwater plants: red plants only stay red under intense light, but will turn green under dimmer light because they need more chlorophyll to get enough energy.

Yeah, I had it happen to me when I first got my red macro's and when I put them down lower, they colored back up.

Really? Weird! That's the opposite of how I've always heard that it works in freshwater plants: red plants only stay red under intense light, but will turn green under dimmer light because they need more chlorophyll to get enough energy.

"If your light is too strong, it can cause the green chlorophyll, (present in all algae), to become too strong, and overpower the pigments that give red and brown algae their distinctive colors, turning them greenish or pale. In this case, try to maneuver the algae in such a way that it becomes shaded from the full force of the lighting."

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=57

• 4 weeks later...

When the lighting is bright, they don't need some of their accessory pigments, so they stop making them and chew up the ones they have.

Wait to see if the stuff actually starts to disintegrate before you chuck it out.

Archived