Cultivated Reef

Critique My Photos - Note: I am a Beginner

ReviloM

Hello, I am a beginner. I use a Sony Nex 5n. I have had it for about 7 months. My girlfriend uses it more than I do. So i decided to pick it up and try using it more often. Below are some shots I took and my attempts at post-processing. Please critique and give me advice to become better. I used Adobe Lightroom 4 which is what someone told me to use.

9631659411_3ebef85a3c_c.jpg

9634896826_1547be9547_c.jpg

9634896796_d83fb50d7b_c.jpg

9634896994_bcd64fb3a7_c.jpg

9634897056_a4524f1473_c.jpg

9634897094_77203e3ac7_c.jpg

So, the following is a critique, in other words pointing out flaws in the photos so you can fix it and take better photos in the future. If this isn't what you are looking for, then please don't open the spoiler tag and just ignore the post. The second set is much better than the first.

Better?

9639820808_d37a338bc2_c.jpg

I'd say this is front focused and the depth of field is to shallow. Your eyes are drawn to the left by the green dots, but they are out of focus. I'm also not a fan of borders, but that's just me. Running a slower/narrower aperture will fix this.

9636585571_5d8060f961_c.jpg

Again, depth of field/framing problems. The depth of field is very shallow meaning you don't get the crisp clear, sharp pictures.

9636585727_80f12bf2d5_c.jpg

Frame is a touch too tight, subject really shouldn't touch the top of the frame. A HDR combiner and multiple exposures would do wonders for the heads on the underside.

So, the following is a critique, in other words pointing out flaws in the photos so you can fix it and take better photos in the future. If this isn't what you are looking for, then please don't open the spoiler tag and just ignore the post. The second set is much better than the first.

I'd say this is front focused and the depth of field is to shallow. Your eyes are drawn to the left by the green dots, but they are out of focus. I'm also not a fan of borders, but that's just me. Running a slower/narrower aperture will fix this.

Again, depth of field/framing problems. The depth of field is very shallow meaning you don't get the crisp clear, sharp pictures.Frame is a touch too tight, subject really shouldn't touch the top of the frame. A HDR combiner and multiple exposures would do wonders for the heads on the underside.

Thanks. That's what I wanted. I am a beginner so anything you say isn't going to offend me. This is a learning experience for me so I can improve. I see I need to work on Dept of field more. Anything else you can possible see that I need to focus on? Again Thanks.

Good job. I like the duncan best.

Thanks.

Thanks. That's what I wanted. I am a beginner so anything you say isn't going to offend me.

Great! Too many people say "critique" when what they are looking for is praise and then get offended when people give them a critique.

This is a learning experience for me so I can improve. I see I need to work on Dept of field more. Anything else you can possible see that I need to focus on? Again Thanks.

Understanding depth of field is the biggest thing, framing could be a little better, in general you're over zoomed. Google up depth of field and aperture and it should turn up some good links explaining it. Then set your camera up in Av mode and go to town. :)

Great! Too many people say "critique" when what they are looking for is praise and then get offended when people give them a critique.

Understanding depth of field is the biggest thing, framing could be a little better, in general you're over zoomed. Google up depth of field and aperture and it should turn up some good links explaining it. Then set your camera up in Av mode and go to town. :)

Ok. Thanks!

Archived