Cultivated Reef

some kind of slug-like, orange, with many legs

smooth

BlackSumbel

Fire Worm! Ooohhhh... I had one like that. I touched it. Ohhhh... I'll never forget it as long as I live.

Fire does not even approach the pain. No, more like.... ACID.

Someone else said bristleworm, except that he's 12 inches long and about 1/2" thick.

Definately not a bristle-worm then?

Man, that is a healthy little predator you have there then. He doesn't look like any of my bristle-worms. Check out those links I posted, it looks almost like the one on the fire-worm page.

When I read the links, it looks like they were saying bristle-worms and fireworms were the same family--or one was included within the other. Something like that. I didn't see a clear distinction between why someone would keep one, but not the other.

I guess I'll toss him back in--he looks lonely.

The green blobs look like bubble algae. It grows very quickly and can take over the tank if you don't tend to it. An emerald crab should pick those things off and eat em. If you pop the bubble in the tank, it releases spores and more will grow.

BlackSumbel

It's not the fact of what it is... it's the -size-. When they get that large they irritate the hell out of corals.

Incidentally, you can see where the bristles are. And that's where you -don't- want to touch.

Originally posted by smooth

my wife touched it, didn't do anything to her.

Awesome, will she marry me? I can hardly get my wife to put her hands in the tank!

It does appear to be a fire-worm, but not all are harmful, especially in a 125. How often do you see it, My guess is it roams and hides in the rock most of the time. Have you noticed any animals or corals missing or damaged latley?

None of those things (missing corals or critters, etc.) have happened.

I've had him in my fuge for about a week now. If anyone wants him, he's free for the taking. I don't feel like having him roam in the tank--there seem to be plenty of small ones in there already.

• 1 month later...

YES !! GET HIM OUT OF THERE!!!

I had one just like that one . he eight 3 small dusters and my favorite clam.

I just saw another a week ago but he got away. DON'T BREAK IT IN HALF when you are pulling him out of your rocks. each piece will growinto a new one.

I was told to talk my rock out of the water until it comes out. they need water and will leave the rock to find it. I didn't try it yet...a bit afraid to kill the good stuff

Archived