Cultivated Reef

Bow-front troubles

MR.FEESH

I'm having a difficult time getting anything in focus when shooting close-ups through the bow-front panel of my tank. I'm fixed at 70mm, and the lens goes to 1:1 so I'm almost right up on the tank's glass. It's sharpest straight on the object, but doesn't every really focus. (I only shoot [photography of any subject] using manual focus, so I know it's not an AF issue).

Is there a way to combat this? I'm assuming it's because the curvature of the glass is too great so close and it's acting like another (shitty) element to the lens. For instance, FTSs that I take from 5 feet away are perfectly in focus. Am I just not going to be to be able to snap anything 1:1 through the front panel ever? I would have 'scaped differently from the get-go had I anticipated this haha

Some curved glass seems to be flawless. I have a 12 gallon nano cube and I can get great shots through it. The curved glass on my old 36 gallon bowfront was a no-go when it came to photos though. Might indeed just be due to being more curved. You always have the option of using a surface viewer to get top down shots

Some curved glass seems to be flawless. I have a 12 gallon nano cube and I can get great shots through it. The curved glass on my old 36 gallon bowfront was a no-go when it came to photos though. Might indeed just be due to being more curved. You always have the option of using a surface viewer to get top down shots

Any top-down porthole you or the other photo-buffs can recommend?

My biggest issue with bowfronts! I like to see what my fish look like besides how they'd look in a carnival mirror.

We shoot pix thru the side panels of our PnP setups, esp the 28's...TERRIBLE for photography.

My biggest issue with bowfronts! I like to see what my fish look like besides how they'd look in a carnival mirror.

We shoot pix thru the side panels of our PnP setups, esp the 28's...TERRIBLE for photography.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a difficult time getting anything in focus when shooting close-ups through the bow-front panel of my tank. I'm fixed at 70mm, and the lens goes to 1:1 so I'm almost right up on the tank's glass. It's sharpest straight on the object, but doesn't every really focus. (I only shoot [photography of any subject] using manual focus, so I know it's not an AF issue).

Is there a way to combat this? I'm assuming it's because the curvature of the glass is too great so close and it's acting like another (shitty) element to the lens. For instance, FTSs that I take from 5 feet away are perfectly in focus. Am I just not going to be to be able to snap anything 1:1 through the front panel ever? I would have 'scaped differently from the get-go had I anticipated this haha

Mount it on a tripod, and shoot at like F/11 or F/16 or something and shoot as perpendicular to the glass as possible. Not sure what your body is, but you'll start seeing diffraction around F/11 on a crop, so you may have to balance depth of field with defraction softness at some point, so you can't really just go all F/22 on it.
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived