SaltCritters.com

Is This A Safe Situation?

Djm9288

Just remember that an emerald crab (small) becomes an emerald crab (not-so-small). Small or large, he won't really pose a threat to the ocellaris clowns, but he could become a problem for the, as someone else described them, catatonic citron gobie.

Bioload wise, I'd be a bit leary of having three fish, even if the goby is a low-load fish. But it can be done if the rest of the tank is in optimal shape. I'd add the goby last, after you're sure you can keep everyone else happy and the water clean.

I find the emeralds only get mean and aggressive when they are hungry (meaning no food in tank to eat) and can go after fish. I have never had an aggressive emerald problem in any tank.

I would start with one and see how he does, especially when it comes to the "does your tank have enough for him to eat" phase. If he does well than a second would be ok but you may not want to add any other crabs to the tank.

Cameron

I just booted an emerald out of my 20 for going after my clown all the time. He probably couldn't have done much damage...but I wasn't willing to risk it, especially since i want to add a goby later on

Archived