inTank Media Baskets

A new 20L is born

whadmin

Here is my new tank. It is a 20g long. I will be moving most things from my 90g into this tank. The back is painted woth 10 coats of Krylon Fusion - Navy paint. Light are Coralife Aqualight 130w. Stand was bought at Rona, the stain didn't turn out the color I wanted but oh well. I'm still waiting for the legs for the light.

Here it is lights off.

tankloff2.jpg

Here it is lights on.

tanklon2.jpg

Comments? Ideas?

Walter

Nice, thats odd my 20 long is 30 inches and my aqualight 130 watt doesnt fitt perfectly so i have use 2 metal bars to hold it up. My aqualight is only 24 inches long

Originally posted by Kool-cat

Nice, thats odd my 20 long is 30 inches and my aqualight 130 watt doesnt fitt perfectly so i have use 2 metal bars to hold it up. My aqualight is only 24 inches long

I bought a 30" Aqualight so it would fit perfectly. I got all my rock, corals, and fish in tonight. I'll post a picture when the dust settles down.

Walter

Looks more like a 29g than a 20g long.

20 Gallon Long: ~30x12x12

29 Gallon: ~30x12x18

You better make sure, in case any of your dosing, etc.. calculations are based on your gallons.

oman, i brought my aqualight at doctor fosters and they only had the 24 inch dual 65 watt ,but i actually need the 30 inch one. Now im forced to hold the light up with 2 metal bars so it reduces a little light

It's 30x12x12. I actually though it looked bigger too, but it measures out to a 20 long. It might be the rings around the top and bottom that make it look taller...

Walter

Wierd. I have both a 20g long and 29g, and I just can't see it as a 20g long. Measurements don't lie, must be the perspective, etc... X) That, or I'm so used to seeing mine with the full woodwork that hides the trim.

I was considering starting up a 10g reef or switching over my FW 20g long, and can get a decent deal on that 30" fixture. Nice to see a good pic of how it would fit (can't wait to see pics of the legs if you post 'em when you get 'em).

Here are some more pics.

The best tank shot I could get. For some reason I can't seem to get a good one.

newtank1.jpg

Some zoos, lights just came on.

zoos1.jpg

zoos2.jpg

Here is a new Ricordea I got from Big Als'. Look close beside it, my blenny is always ready for a picture.

ricblenny.jpg

Another of the ricordea

rico1.jpg

I hope to get some more corals soon, but for now that's all I got.

Walter

that is awsome, i have the same light on my 20L, how much rock is in there it seems like the perfect amount. definately something i'd like my tank to look like down the road

i have 16 lbs of rock in mine

ohh i forgot to tell you, the coralife legs are awsome for those lights, i think it keeps it a little cooler w/ air blowing under it as well. but that is just my 2 cents and i am only a newbie at this

What hardware are you using for filtering? (protein skimmer, AC500) Where did you get the stand?

I'm a first timer and I will be setting up a 20L in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help

I'm not sure how #'s of rock are in there. I got all the rock from a trade I did awhile ago. There might be about 20lbs or so. The sand is a mix of sugar sand and aragonite. Filtration is a AC300 with a sponge and a bag of carbon. That's it for now. I'll add a small skimmer when I get a chance, for now I'll do a water change every week...

Walter

Originally posted by bjk

ohh i forgot to tell you, the coralife legs are awsome for those lights, i think it keeps it a little cooler w/ air blowing under it as well. but that is just my 2 cents and i am only a newbie at this

The stand I got at a store called Rona (like HomeDepot, but Canadian). Is was unfinished pine. It fit's the foot print of the tank perfectly! (I'm talking 1/2 remaining around 3 sides when the tank is on).

WAlter

That's a very nice rock formation you have there. It looks like it's going to be perfect for mounting all sorts of neat corals in the future.

Best,

Phil

Charlotte, NC

Sweet tank... so it looks like you just have a small power head in there for flow... is that right? I have to agree with Daemonfly, it looks like a 29G to me. Something about the perspective of the shot, I guess.

-Scott

Originally posted by ChloroPhil

That's a very nice rock formation you have there.  It looks like it's going to be perfect for mounting all sorts of neat corals in the future.  

Best,

Phil

Charlotte, NC

Thanks. I assure you it is a 20 :P When I get a chance I'll take a picture of a tape measure beside it! :) I have a Hagen 301 PH and a AC300 on the back. I also bought a CPR HOB Fuge, now I just need to go pick it up :)

Walter

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have the legs for the lighting? I have the same lighting and I am just wondering if you ended up getting the legs? Do you have any problems with heat? I have climate control in my house, but still wondering. Do you have the glass top? Does salt get into your light without it? Also what type of corals are working for you with that lighting?

Originally posted by DLeAnnM

Do you have the legs for the lighting?  I have the same lighting and I am just wondering if you ended up getting the legs?  Do you have any problems with heat?  I have climate control in my house, but still wondering.  Do you have the glass top?  Does salt get into your light without it?  Also what type of corals are working for you with that lighting?

Ok, Yes I got the legs for the light, no problem what so ever (and I don't have a/c) No glass top, just open. I get a bit of water splatter on the acrylic lense if my water level get's low (Aquaclear 300) So far I have mostly LPS, Ricc's, Zoo's, 1 SPS... I'm getting a 400w Radium for a good deal so I may be changing over :D

Walter

• 1 month later...

None yet. Just letting it grow. I also bought a 24x24x18 cube w/built in overflow and durso. Not sure when I'll do the upgrade.

Walter

Archived