Pod Your Reef

Hammerhead's IM Nuvo 24 **New Pics** 11/26/13

HammerheadV13

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HammerheadV13

looks great man. is that about 30lbs of sand in there? really love your flame angel but i didn't know if it would be happy in a tank so small.

I bought a 30lb bag and used about 20lbs in my first tank. During my transfer to the newer model tank I lost about 5lbs and used the remaining sand, so I'm at roughly 25lbs now. I definitely like the deep sand bed with plenty of beneficial bacteria.

I love my flame angel, and it seems pretty happy to me. It eats regularly, gets along with all my other fish, has plenty of spots to hide if it likes, not to mention there is 36" of display for it to swim. I'm not sure why this fish is not suitable to this tank, or if that is merely an opinion.

I bought a 30lb bag and used about 20lbs in my first tank. During my transfer to the newer model tank I lost about 5lbs and used the remaining sand, so I'm at roughly 25lbs now. I definitely like the deep sand bed with plenty of beneficial bacteria.

I love my flame angel, and it seems pretty happy to me. It eats regularly, gets along with all my other fish, has plenty of spots to hide if it likes, not to mention there is 36" of display for it to swim. I'm not sure why this fish is not suitable to this tank, or if that is merely an opinion.

i have about the same amount of sand in my tank. 20lbs didn't build up to much of a sand bed so i added another 10lbs.

in regards to the flame angel, i was only stating that for the same reasons people say we shouldn't keep Tangs in a tank smaller than 60gal. i though flame angels needed a lot of room too.

HammerheadV13

in regards to the flame angel, i was only stating that for the same reasons people say we shouldn't keep Tangs in a tank smaller than 60gal. i though flame angels needed a lot of room too.

I know what you mean. I am certainly no expert but I just really love that fish and had to try it out. If I felt it was cruel to continue with it in there I'd remove it. For now he definitely seems happy and I can't imagine my tank without that little sucker.

If it's doing well then that's great they are recommended in 50-70 gallon tanks but I think that's a load of crap and that if it has sufficient grazing room it will be fine and in your case it does I was considering one but thought id stay on the safe side and get a coral beauty or cherub

• 2 weeks later...
HammerheadV13

Last week Fort Worth was a winter nightmare... The roads were dangerous and having grown up in Ohio, I can easily say, Texas drivers are clueless when it comes to snow and ice. I did venture out into the craziness last Saturday to take advantage of a LFS 50% off sale. I picked up a Blood Red Fire Shrimp, Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp (my 3rd and final attempt at one of these guys), and Neon Candy Cane. I also placed an order last week from Cultivated Reef. I had seen their advertisement on this site for the mini maxima clams and just had to get one. I also ordered a few acans, a chalice, a few zoas, and favias. The tank is starting to fill up nicely, but during the ice storm I realized that my scape although aesthetically pleasing, was not functional. There were no good places to put my frag plugs, and the area for optimal lighting and flow was limited for the corals I chose. So I rearranged the scape, hopefully for the last time.

I am having an issue with the clam planting its foot. It is about half an inch long, and gets blown all over the place with the current, even with the MP10 turned down to 1 LED. I have it in the substrate right now and the hermits usually knock it over on its side. Any pointers with this guy? Would it be ill advised to turn off all pumps for a day or so to see if it will plant itself?

All the corals with the exception of 2 from my Tidal Gardens order are doing great. My original Neon Candy Cane started to recede and eventually all the flesh disappeared. The Violet & Red favite also had its flesh rot away. Not sure what the cause was, as parameters were all in check. I noticed they were fine for the first couple days, but gradually deteriorated. As I mentioned all the others are doing great, opening fully, feeding on mysis, and plankton... I will chalk it up to stress during shipping.

Equipment wise, everything is working together in harmony. I am not seeing any dark skimmate out of the skimmer, just a brownish water that I empty every 3-4 days. Not sure if my filtration is doing that good of a job, or if maybe I need to adjust the airflow. Anyone running the Intank media baskets with chemipure elite, purigen, and filter floss have any advice? I also have the mini fuge with chaeto.

Winter Hell

post-80543-0-07866200-1386996807_thumb.jpg

FTS: 12/13/13

post-80543-0-74771500-1386996913_thumb.jpg

Favites

post-80543-0-79814900-1386996933_thumb.jpg

Just chilling

post-80543-0-78336500-1386996997_thumb.jpg

Pinstripe Acan

post-80543-0-86178900-1386997137_thumb.jpg

Fireball Acan

post-80543-0-48283200-1386997396_thumb.jpg

Miami Hurricane Chalice

post-80543-0-56983000-1386997449_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Polarcollision

Equipment wise, everything is working together in harmony. I am not seeing any dark skimmate out of the skimmer, just a brownish water that I empty every 3-4 days. Not sure if my filtration is doing that good of a job, or if maybe I need to adjust the airflow. Anyone running the Intank media baskets with chemipure elite, purigen, and filter floss have any advice? I also have the mini fuge with chaeto.

Starting to question the Tunze skimmer. It's my first skimmer, but I always thought they were miracles for organic removal. Not so much in my experience since nitrates rise 5 each week. Also using floss, Purigen and carbon. Tunze 9002 makes mostly clear watery skimmate. Sometimes it's a light tea color.

HammerheadV13

Starting to question the Tunze skimmer. It's my first skimmer, but I always thought they were miracles for organic removal. Not so much in my experience since nitrates rise 5 each week. Also using floss, Purigen and carbon. Tunze 9002 makes mostly clear watery skimmate. Sometimes it's a light tea color.

Sent you a PM on the skimmer. The Tunze 9002 is a "wet" skimmer and does not produce dark skimmate.

Polarcollision

... So doesn't that mean less efficient couldn't you run it dryer

It really does seem like the best skimmer for the Nuvo 24 if you're not going for a sump, though I'm having a heck of a time getting it dialed in even after reading everything I can find on it. 80%-90% water changes each week needed to keep imports and exports in balance. Too much is not being removed and then breaking down to nitrates over the week. Hammerhead has it working for him, so that means it can work for other Nuvo 24s

Uhm that's weird everyone recommends this skimmer for this tank? If only you could fit the cad pls50 in it that thing is awesome from what I've heard

The Red Sea kits are simply amazing. I wouldn't use anything else at this point, the color wheel makes it incredibly easy to get accurate readings and the test reagents themselves are more accurate than the API tests.

I just bought a Nuvo 24 what Red Sea Kit should I start off with.

Depends. Their Algae Control kit (comes with Nitrate and Phosphate tests) is great, but I've heard the Hannah Checkers are incredible and they make one for Phosphate. The Reef Foundation Kit (Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium) is pretty important too if you are keeping coral.

You don't have. To go with Red Sea i hope you know, but you want to be able to test ammonia nitrite and nitrate and once cycled calcium magnesium and alkalinity along with the former

I started with the Seachem Ammonia Alert. It's probably not super accurate, but I can take a look when passing by the tank since it hangs inside. Basically looking for anything other than a yellow center. They are like $6. I also picked up the Salifert Ammonia Test kit and the Red Sea Algae kit that defender referred to. Lastly I bought the Red Sea Reef Foundation kit. Just my process, but I'm happy to share. :) Good Luck!

HammerheadV13

I started out with the Red Sea Marine Kit, it is what I still use. As long as you are testing that is the most important thing.

Depends. Their Algae Control kit (comes with Nitrate and Phosphate tests) is great, but I've heard the Hannah Checkers are incredible and they make one for Phosphate. The Reef Foundation Kit (Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium) is pretty important too if you are keeping coral.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

I started out with the Red Sea Marine Kit, it is what I still use. As long as you are testing that is the most important thing.

Any updates on your tank?

Archived