Top Shelf Aquatics

The Nothing from the Ocean RSM 130 New pics pg10

tennis20

I did, was just time for my unit, TDS was no longer zero.

Do you have a tds meter or do you just do it when your nutrients go up? I might just replace them on a schedule

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
duncan-junkie

Just looked over this thread....good luck and happy reefing!!! This is by far the most rewarding hobby, and well worth the work! Just imagine, in about 6-8 months....maybe less, your tank is gonna be rockin and look completley different. I'm excited to see it!!

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Yeah , I'm really excited!

Just looked over this thread....good luck and happy reefing!!! This is by far the most rewarding hobby, and well worth the work! Just imagine, in about 6-8 months....maybe less, your tank is gonna be rockin and look completley different. I'm excited to see it!!

Thanks, I feel so accomplished when I got my eel grass to grow! :P This is going to be a rather slow build though, with the fencing season coming up and school, I'll be lucky to do a weekly wc.

TDS Meter

Alright.

Update time now!

Once I get my levels down, I'm going to get a black and white clown and a normal one, hopefully this weekend. Both from sustainable aquatics I believe. Anyone hear of a stubby clown? They look just like normal clowns but..i guess....stubby. They have them at my lfs and maybe i'll get one. idk just thinking

Mostly a pic dump but I got my RODI today!!! Already made about 5 good gallons. Very well built rodi from where I am now, it's hooked up to my garden hose and looks like it's working just fine!

First hooked up

IMG_2589_zps1edf0616.jpg

Collection bucket

IMG_2590_zps38a1b154.jpg

FTS Weird white balance

IMG_2584_zps7d32a88f.jpg

This is when i first put in the algae, and look now

IMG_2201_zpsb0ab377f.png

Top down

IMG_2382_zps5b6ad40b.jpg

kendrick the snail is eating away

IMG_2381_zps3060c17b.jpg

My random maxi mini that was an accident is now dead

IMG_2211_zps435de40e.jpg

Can I get an ID on this?

IMG_2215_zps70dd55ac.jpg

And the one you've all been waiting for... the algae growth shots from when I got it (2.5 weeks ago) and now

IMG_2592_zpsb7e03a50.png

IMG_2593_zps06913427.pngIMG_2594_zpsfcada75b.png

My Ro/di has produced about 15 gallons now and looks great. I tested the water, after I add the salt, the nitrates are 0 and the ammonia, well, it isn't .25 but it isn't exactly 0 but it isn't green but the scale is just hard to read. The API kits are notoriously unreliable though, but I don't want to kid myself. So, I really don't know what to think

Okay, quick update, I just tested my tank ammonia and the color is a little darker than 0 ppm. Everything in there now is healthy, shrimp included. These Api tests are so frustrating, in different lights the values are all different. This sucks

Any suggestions anyone?

Okay, quick update, I just tested my tank ammonia and the color is a little darker than 0 ppm. Everything in there now is healthy, shrimp included. These Api tests are so frustrating, in different lights the values are all different. This sucks

Any suggestions anyone?

Stop testing and don't worry about it. IMO the only things you need to ever test is Ca and Alk, but that's later on. Just stick to your maintenance schedule and observe your fish/inverts they'll let you know if they aren't happy. Then just do a W.C.

Stop testing and don't worry about it. IMO the only things you need to ever test is Ca and Alk, but that's later on. Just stick to your maintenance schedule and observe your fish/inverts they'll let you know if they aren't happy. Then just do a W.C.

Thats the problem, I'm afraid my new salt water has ammonia in it

Thats the problem, I'm afraid my new salt water has ammonia in it

Highly unlikely... if it had significant enough amounts that your live rock couldn't handle, your inverts would not be doing well. My API test for the ammonia always looked like it was reading a little bit above 0 when it was obviously 0. Do you mix your own salt or buy it premixed?

Highly unlikely... if it had significant enough amounts that your live rock couldn't handle, your inverts would not be doing well. My API test for the ammonia always looked like it was reading a little bit above 0 when it was obviously 0. Do you mix your own salt or buy it premixed?

Mix my own, I just got an rodi. My tap has chlormines in it so maybe that's it. I'm think I'm just over reacting, I always do this.

Mix my own, I just got an rodi. My tap has chlormines in it so maybe that's it. I'm think I'm just over reacting, I always do this.

I wouldn't worry about it then... just make sure you let it mix for 24 hours min. before you do your W.C. and you should be fine. Testing on a routine is fairly unnecessary for most tanks... just makes you worry more than you have to. Just pay attention to your livestock and the appearance of your tank. Any changes will tip you off to potential issues in your water chemistry

I wouldn't worry about it then... just make sure you let it mix for 24 hours min. before you do your W.C. and you should be fine. Testing on a routine is fairly unnecessary for most tanks... just makes you worry more than you have to. Just pay attention to your livestock and the appearance of your tank. Any changes will tip you off to potential issues in your water chemistry

That's a great thought, I'll let my stuff run through the night

So my fish have half been decided. Later today I'm going to the store to get some zoos, a Xenia, and a fish. Now my whole stocking lost(tentative) is coral beauty (they have a really nice captive bred one at LFS), 2 clowns, and a gramma or cardinal. Not to heavly stocked but enough for me.

API Ammonia is notorious for showing false positive. Don't worry about it.

What he said. Mine still looks like it has ammonia according to the test. If you are cycled don't worry about it.

Just be aware the CB 'can' munch on corals.

Testing on a routine is fairly unnecessary for most tanks... just makes you worry more than you have to. Just pay attention to your livestock and the appearance of your tank. Any changes will tip you off to potential issues in your water chemistry

I definitely agree that routine testing isn't totally necessary, but in the beginning of the tank it can be helpful. For example, I tested for NItrates twice a week (once after the water change and once before the water change) for the first few months of my tank being setup. Generally, if I make a huge change (like changing my feeding regimen) I start testing more again. If the tank is on auto-pilot, though, I hardly ever test. I can tell what the water parameters are like based on my historical test results, what the tank looks like, and how far I am from a water change. If I do end up testing it's usually almost exactly what I would expect it to be.

So, yea, don't worry about testing too much unless you make major changes to the tank like adding/removing filtration equipment or changing your feeding regimen.

Your call...but I've heard Xenia take over like a weed and you never get it out.

The Xenia they have is full on purple base with and white tips, it's really cool. I try and tame it

So I scored on some pretty cool stuff today. Three zoas and 2 clowns...and. Pics of course. But they are moonlight so...it's tough. I think I got some sunny ds. 2 polyps worth for 7 bucks. I hope they are sunny ds.

Id anyone?

076e5c3b1e5c6bb23b87b235e5b042a7_zpsecc3

2 clowns, one black and the other ocellaris

f0c6975b1e56ac90406cb7099adfc781_zps5dd4

And the sunny ds,I think

67a739747418711193c78f73d6ff82de_zps3f7b

I had a little scare yesterday with the dreaded marine velvet. My black clown looked like it had a white powdery substance on him, barely powdery actually, just kind of a white smudge. Anyway, I was getting really scared, considering that I didn't quarantine him, nor will I be quarantining any of my fish due to money and just I'm not able to but today I looked at it and the clown, "The Dark Knight", looks fine so, crisis averted i guess?

My local water company warned us that had aquariums or dialysis machines that RO/DI would NOT remove the chloramines, and cause problems. There is an add on for the RO/DI that will remove the chloramine.

I would investigate that before I dismiss it.

Bob

Archived